Where have I been!!! My kids have loved clay forever and I have always avoided it because I just couldn’t face the mess!!! But on a whim I bought a bag of clay a couple of weeks ago and I seem to have lost my children – who dash to finish school so that they can head outdoors and create with clay… Nothing fancy, no firing, no glazing, and no new dinner service!!! But hours and hours of fun and hours and hours of perfect quiet as everyone gets lost in their own world of clay. Really, the fun was so much more than I ever could have guessed!!!
- We began with a lump of clay:
- We used some old tiles for working on:
- And we made some wire cutters:
- Old credit cards were brilliant for smoothing and patterns:
- We tried our hand at slabs: Rolling the clay out and creating on them:
- Pinch Pots were pinched and pinched some more:
- And then we made coil pots:
- We even painted:
Here’s the gallery:
Turns out the mess is minimal, if you keep it outdoors!!! And when they are finished and the dry and brittle creations start to crumble then you toss them in a bucket with a little water and and it crumbles back to the squashy clay it once was… and you just start over!!!
That’s us! Have a fun weekend!!!