HomeSchool Question: What Do Little People Do During School?

November 12th, 2010 · 24 Comments

Some homeschool questions get asked of me… a lot. Over and over again… And I normally respond with a Se7en Questions about Homeschooling post… But I think some questions get asked so often that they deserve their own space. Probably my most frequently asked question and the thing most people take a trip to our “contact page” for is to ask:

How do I keep my little people busy, while the big one’s do school?

I have answered this question before, a while back and to be honest nothing has changed!!! If I had to answer in a sentence I would say: I am the mother person and not the entertainment… but I should probably elaborate and say:

Our schedule is pretty accommodating as soon as everyone is awake and we have had breakfast we get on with the book work part of school as quickly as we can… During that time my little ones are free spirits to roam and play as they please. They don’t have special packets of educational activities, they don’t have boxes just for school time, they don’t watch cartoons on tv or do any specific educational activities… They play, because that is the job of little people… to play and play and play… If our school were of the “school at home” type it would be tricky, with me trying to spread my attention thinly across everyone at once. But I think over time home schools tend to follow the rhythm of their home and we have times of day that are more intensely school interspersed with times when my scholars might be busy but I am not!!! And as my older kids get busy so I get to spend time reading stories and hanging out with the little ones and then the balance changes again…

I don’t feel bad that my kids don’t spend every moment being either educated or under my focused attention – because frankly I think any playing that they do is far more educational for their whole little being than anything I could conjure up!!! If we want our children to grow up to be wonderfully creative beings and the problem solvers of tomorrow then they will need lots of time playing and inventing and creating… and problem solving!!!

So what do they do… nothing that involves my undivided attention – so no baking, limited concoctions in the bathroom sink, and no dancing on computer keyboards – as far as I know!!! They usually have a theme going and play it through from start to finish – so for a week they will read books behind the couch and the next week they will make houses under the table… I think it isn’t so important that I have activities planned but that I have resources hanging about for them… the crayons and paper are available for arting, the cushions and blankets are available for making houses, the books are stacked and inviting – ready to read…

Let’s Meet The Players:

And unpack:

11. They take trips in baskets, to the land of books:
  12. DSC_0122
    And unpack:

13. They take snacks:
  14. DSC_0505

And enough of the unpacking already!!! Though as you can see his unpacking is pretty localized and takes literally two seconds to return to it’s natural place!!!

To me it just looks like a regular day of living and playing. To them it defines their childhood… Because of that “school time” needs to be a happy time, a fun time and I think a time driven by them while they can still enjoy care free days without schedules and plotting and planning… I am there if they need me and they often do but I am also busy doing other things so the decisions to do what they do is pretty much theirs. They have lots of days full of surprises and spontaneity and that’s just how I think it should be!!!

Tags: HomeSchool Questions · Se7en at School

• 1 Hannah @A Mother in Israel // Nov 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I so agree–that is the way to go with small ones. And big ones too, some of the time!

• 2 Sofia's Ideas // Nov 12, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Thank you for this honest snapshot into your life & the lives of your lil’ ones. Its very comforting & reassuring in ways I’m sure you hadn’t even intended! :)

• 3 se7en // Nov 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm

HI Hannah – You are so right about the big ones!!! Nobody ever asks what do you do with the big ones while you are busy with the little ones… And somehow the bigger they are the more they need us!!! Great comment!!! Hope you have a fabulous weekend!!!

• 4 jacki // Nov 14, 2010 at 1:29 am

Unpacking is the best thing ever invented for homeschooling moms I think! Loved the photos of the three small musketeers!

• 5 Stephanie // Nov 14, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Agreed! Just how it should be!

• 6 se7en // Nov 14, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Hay Jacki, Nice to hear from you!!! Unpacking is indeed a way of life!!! Hope you have a wonderful week together!!!

• 7 se7en // Nov 14, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Hay Stephanie!!! I love it when you stop by!!! Like Minds on the far side of the world – just nice!!!

• 8 Olivia // Nov 15, 2010 at 5:34 pm

feel a bit better now. people always ask what we do and sometimes i ask myself if i’m neglecting them but, really, they’re BUSY playing ALL DAY. my 6 yo’s reading takes no time and then they go of together on who-know-what adventure.

• 9 se7en // Nov 15, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Oh Olivia – I so know what you mean… totally busy ALL day, without coming up for air!!! Frankly I love it and can’t stand to interrupt their drive and enthusiasm!!! Have a great week!!!

• 10 Tammy Mayes // Nov 17, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Thanks so much for sharing, I just love love love this post, it is so great to see how and what others do, seeing as most of us have not been homeschooled. Thank you. I know you guys have general tidy up sessions before food, but how do you handle things inbetween or do you only do tidy before food or snacks? For example in our house a whole bedroom is unpacked into the lounge early in the morning to build things and play play play which is great but I feel like I am telling them to tidy up all the time…

• 11 se7en // Nov 18, 2010 at 12:56 am

Hi Tammy – Good to hear from you!!! We have a particular person who is very gifted at unpacking and playing… and by the time most of us get up in the morning he has had a good session already!!! Toys do stay in the room where they belong… kitchen toys in the kitchen, most toys in the kids room, a handful of toys in the bedroom and no toys in the lounge, the hall… So tidy up before breakfast, then my little guys finish school and tidy anything unpacked before our snack. One or two others finish school just before lunch and tidy up again… and then no tidying all afternoon till dinnertime. Generally it gets so bad and no further… there is a level of entropy beyond which chaos doesn’t seem to occur!!! our tidy sessions are quick, fifteen minutes max… otherwise it would feel like all day!!! So I try to turn a blind eye when it isn’t just before a meal so I don’t turn into the toy grinch… but there are days when I fail, galactically!!! Hope this helps!!!

• 12 Dorothy @ Kids Party Games // Nov 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Very inspiring post. Wish all mom like you,have long long patience to their kids!! I guess i’ll keep coming back to your site. :)

• 13 se7en // Nov 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Hi Dorothy, Thanks for stopping by!!! I never ever think of myself as patient, just getting by!!! Hope you have a great day!!!

• 14 Homeschool Question: What Do My Older Kids Do in School? » se7en // Nov 19, 2010 at 11:50 pm

[...] week answering Homeschool Questions that I get asked again and again… the first question was “What do our little people do during school time?” I showed you what my three pre-schoolers got up to during a regular school day and this led to this [...]

• 15 Anastasia B // Jan 14, 2011 at 10:37 pm

That is wonderful! I love big families!
    I stopped by here from Simple Homeschool :)

• 16 Se7en At School… The Collection… » se7en // Feb 4, 2011 at 2:14 am

[...] What Do My Little Kids Do During School? [...]

• 17 Creating a Family Schedule « Graceful Girls and Brave Boys // Apr 5, 2011 at 11:43 pm

[...] love the way the little ones on Se7en are just part of things but do their own thing – the little ones wash dishes, paint and play [...]

• 18 Julie B. // Nov 3, 2012 at 12:35 am

This is so refreshing to read. I’ve pretty much let my littles do their own thing, but always felt guilty like I should be organizing and keeping them busy. Thanks!

• 19 se7en // Nov 3, 2012 at 2:05 am

Hay Julie B, So glad it spoke to you!!! Honestly all the activities in the world aren’t going to ever make up for the chance your little ones have to create and invent on their own… In a world where kids are so scheduled and driven it is nice to let the little ones escape the craziness!!! Thanks for stopping by and hope you have a fantastic weekend!!!

• 20 A HomeSchool Day in the Life of Se7en + 1... - se7en // Feb 2, 2013 at 3:38 am

[...] on. Once we are all finished working together the scholars get their files out and start working… my little ones head off and play and they have a rhythm of play, we don’t interrupt them and they don’t usually [...]

• 21 Krissy // Jul 24, 2013 at 8:17 am

Found you through Pinterest. Just wanted to comment and say THANK YOU for not telling us that you have 30 thousand carefully prepared and even more carefully organized project bags that your little angels use each day of the week on an even more organized rotation schedule!!! What a relief to hear that you just let.them.play. My guilt is gone…well partially anyway, I’m sure I’ll come across the 30 thousand project bag post sometime!! ;) Although I would love to be that prepared, my reality is just not gonna let that happen. You are right, kids just need to play and I too am the “Mother person and not the entertainer.” Love that!!! Enjoyed this post!

• 22 se7en // Jul 24, 2013 at 11:17 am

Hay Krissy…So good to meet you!!! Isn’t play the thing!!! I promise there is absolutely no “30 thousand project bag post” on our blog – somehow I have managed to escape that entire overwhelming “necessity” that seems to be required for homeschooling moms with little ones along-side!!! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting, I really appreciate you taking the time!!! Have a fabulous day!!!

• 23 Jennifer // Aug 31, 2013 at 5:08 am

Hi, I really enjoyed reading your post. I have a very active 3 year old who will play pretty nicely when I am right there playing but has been kind of needy when I am occupied helping his 12, 10 or 7 year old siblings with something. Trying to figure out a game plan for next week….
    Thanks for the post. ( :

• 24 se7en // Sep 2, 2013 at 1:41 am

Hay Jennifer, Nice to meet you!!! Wishing you all the best with your busy little person… times will change and things will get easier!!! Hope you have a great week…