When we think about Bible Study we usually think about a group of adults gathered together to study their Bibles once a week, to discuss what they have learnt and to provide support and prayer for their fellow Christians. Well Hooray, this GiveAway is a resource to help your kids prepare and run their own Bible Studies for themselves. Why shouldn’t our kids have the privilege of meeting with Christians their own age and discussing a passage together… learning and exploring their Bibles. As usual I have to thank CBD, our GiveAway book suppliers for some more great books.
I think kids are provided with endless gospel messages by adults and of course I have no problem with Gospel messages. But I do think we need more resources to encourage those kids that have the Gospel and are walking the Christian walk from an early age. Think about how great it would be for our kids to have a place to talk about what they are reading in the Bible, where they can learn about others real troubles and how to pray for their friends. A small group of kids bound together by a weekly Bible Study meeting.
This book has resources for ten weekly Bible studies… and the theme is children in the Bible: Jesus, Daniel, Samuel and many more… Each week starts with an ice-breaker game to introduce the topic; worship and a quick activity; a Bible Reading and discussion; and it ends with a prayer session and journal writing, where they keep a record of what they learnt and what they prayed for. They are encouraged to have a wise (adult) person, to talk to and share with each week… which is a good idea, since it is always nice to have a mentor to back you up. But the wise-adult person is not there to lead the Bible Study. The material is presented in an easy to read format, short paragraphs and not a lot of writing – the instructions are short and to the point… and very understandable!!!
Se7en things that Bible Study can teach your kids:
- Accountability: Just having to be there week after week and knowing that others are expecting you to be there holds you accountable.
- Responsibility: Preparation will take time and effort, but not hours, everyone knows that there are few things worse than attending an unprepared Bible Study!!!
- Bible Teaching: This one is obvious!!! You can learn a lot about the Bible from reading it, but so much more will “stick” if you discuss it!!!
- Caring for others: Inviting friends and praying for friends week after week will add a deeper dimension to their friendships.
- Bible Study is Fun: I want my kids to think that going to Bible Study is fun and not just some boring old adult thing that happens out of sight… Seriously what a blessing to grow up being part of a Bible Study and thinking it is cool!!!
- A life-Long Support System: Our children could well grow up to be the church leaders of tomorrow, pastors, missionaries whatever and how great it will be to have had Christian friends that they have been praying with and supporting each other since childhood.
- It is Challenging: There is nothing like sharing ideas with a group and discovering not everyone agrees with you… It is a great way to figure out what you believe and why. For example do they believe what they believe because it is what they have been told to believe or because they have a clear understanding of what they are learning.
- A Good Life-Long Habit: The more time we spend learning about God in His Word, the closer we will be to him, the younger we start thinking that Bible Study is a normal weekly activity, the better. If this is part of their weekly routine then they will expect a weekly Bible Study where ever they find themselves… and hopefully they will create their own if there isn’t one to be found!!!
And the Se7en +1th thing:
My kids do Bible Study with each other and a as a family, but this book has encouraged me to open it up and invite friends over and then stand back. My kids are excited about this – who wouldn’t be!!!
If you are looking for more Sunday Snippets then just follow the link…
If you would like to win this fabulous book then go ahead and enter our GiveAway. The GiveAway works in the usual way, comment before the end of this coming Sunday, 14 November 2010, and we will draw and publish the winner next week! – I won’t respond to your comments as I do on our other posts because I don’t want to be included in our own giveaway.
Our GiveAway Books are open to everyone: If you have won a GiveAway before never fear – enter away. If you live on the far side of the world – enter away. Postage takes forever from here but eventually it should get to you! Good luck and get commenting!!!