Sunday Snippet: Se7en Things a Father can Give his Children…

June 18th, 2012 · 13 Comments

Se7en Things a Dad can give his children:

1. He can give his heart: Just the slightest rattle of the front gate has everyone dashing to see of it their “father person.” Every departure, if it be for a day at the office or a quick dash down the road, is an important one – with se7en + 1 hugs to see him on his way.
  2. Malachi 4:6 He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children,
    and the hearts of the children to their parents;
    or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction.

3. He can give them rest: My kids think there is nothing better than hanging out on the couch with their dad, wiling away their time together.
  4. Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

5. He can give them adventures: He will take all his kids down the road at dusk, they will conquer fears, they’ll cross dangerous fields and return home safely having hunted down a quart of milk.
  6. Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
    Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged,
    for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

7. He can give them a family: He has certainly given them a team of siblings. While my husband is no athlete, he and his gang make a great team. He wouldn’t dream of tackling a project without the help of his kids. – even if it is making pizza on Saturday night – everyone gets a turn to help.
  8. Psalm 128:3 …your children will be like olive shoots around your table.

9. He can give them their needs: He doesn’t just provide the everyday stuff, he fulfills those extra things – sometimes things that they urgently need and sometimes things they want… not always material things. Sometimes our kids might need an hour or two out alone with their dad… it is something they need and something that only he can provide.
  10. Luke 11:11-13 Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?
    Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?
    If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children,
    How much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!

11. He can give them life lessons: He teaches us about being faithful and how to pray to their Father in Heaven.
  12. 1 Timothy 4:8 For physical training is of some value,
    but godliness has value for all things,
    holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

13. He can give them strength: He teaches by example, he expects them to behave well and to go the extra mile when they are called too. And the kids love to rise to his expectations.
  14. Proverbs 3:11-12 My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline,
    and do not resent his rebuke,
    because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.

And the se7en + 1th thing:

15. He can give them confidence: He relies on them and signs them up: For jobs at church; for dinner guests; for all day guests… for all sorts of things. He is believes in what his kids can do and, while they don’t always do what he expects them to do, they do not disappoint him.
  16. Psalm 127:5 Blessed is the Man whose quiver is full of them.
    They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.

Hope you had a great Father’s Day where ever you are!!!

Tags: Sunday Snippet

• 1 katherine marie // Jun 18, 2012 at 6:05 am

HAPPY FATHER’S day to your father-person!!!!

• 2 Lopke D // Jun 18, 2012 at 11:55 am

• 3 Tammy // Jun 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Lovely post!

• 4 Kim Allen // Jun 18, 2012 at 2:17 pm

what a proud daddy he must be!

• 5 Brenda // Jun 18, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I love this post. My husband travels for his job and is gone for months on end. There are times when I feel like our “father person” is gone so much, he is almost unnecessary, especially when he comes home and has to get to know his kids all over again. But this post makes me realize that I cannot alone provide everything our kids need. The point that I especially like is “he can give them rest.” I will remember that one when he sits them both on the couch and watches some movie with them instead of going out to play. (When he is gone, we watch zero television and the very occasional movie. The movie-watching increases ten-fold when he is home, much to my frustration!) 🙂 Thank you for opening my eyes today! And I hope your father-person had a great day with your beautiful family!

• 6 Stephanie Precourt // Jun 19, 2012 at 1:17 am

Stephanie Precourt´s last blog post ..Postcards from the edge, of the country

• 7 se7en // Jun 19, 2012 at 1:35 am

Oh Katherine Marie… I hope you had such a special Father’s Day with your father person and your pops over!!! Hope you are making wonderful memories together!!! Lots of love!!!

• 8 se7en // Jun 19, 2012 at 1:40 am

Thank you Lopke D, Hope you have a wonderful week!!!

• 9 se7en // Jun 19, 2012 at 1:42 am

Hay Tammy, Thank you, Hope you have a great day with your family!!! See you soon!!!

• 10 se7en // Jun 19, 2012 at 1:52 am

Thank you Kim, I think that may be the case!!! Hope you have a great day!!!

• 11 se7en // Jun 19, 2012 at 2:25 am

Hi there Brenda… Your comment made me smile, I could have written it!!! Until we had four kids my hubs used to travel a lot – three months out and a week home and off again. I so know where you are coming from!!! He doesn’t travel anymore, but like most dads he works like a trojan, and definitely is home to rest. Your TV situation sounds exactly like ours – I never even think to put it on!!! I can say if he travels or not, my kids all know that they have screen time with their dad and not their mom!!! I guess I am all about doing projects with my kids and their dad is all about chilling out!!! Different parents have different styles and kids know that. But I want my kids to be close to their Dad and the best way to get close is to hang out together… So chilling and screen time are part of that… and endless trips to the store, running errands and so on!!! Wishing you all the best!!!

• 12 se7en // Jun 19, 2012 at 2:32 am

Baby Steph… Thank you so much for stopping by!!! Your trip looks fabulous!!! Have a great week!!!

• 13 Se7en's June Calendar and Your Free Printable... - se7en | se7en // Jun 2, 2015 at 3:37 am

[…] Se7en Things a Father Can Give his Children. […]