A couple of weeks back we gave away a copy of a fabulous book: Spurgeon Stories for Kids… Well you will be thrilled to hear that we have book 2 in the series to GiveAway!!!
This book has 52 short stories to read… you will learn a snippet about Spurgeon’s life and what he had to preach…In the first book the stories were about Spurgeon’s childhood and in this book the stories bring to life his adult hood and teaching. Each story has an appropriate bible verse to contemplate. These stories are easy and quick to read with your family at the start of each day or in a weekly meeting. The stories have some great lessons within them for you and your kids to think about. My children have really enjoyed the stories… and I have noticed the book sneak off my desk for a couple of re-reads… always a good indicator that a book is fabulous.
Se7en + 1 things your kids will learn about Spurgeon in this book:
- Spurgeon was married to his wife, Susannah and together they had twin boys: Charles and Thomas.
- He was very proud of his cat, who had the uncanny (!) ability to unlatch the milk can and steal milk, pawful after pawful of milk from the families daily milk delivery.
- Spurgeon’s wife, Susannah, taped bible verses on the ceiling above his bed, to encourage him when he woke up in the morning.
- Spurgeon loved animals, he had a cat, two dogs, a couple go goldfish, and a hive of bees. He made sure that all his animals had a day of rest… but he needed his horses to get to and from church on a Sunday… so for his horses: Saturday was the sabbath.
- When the Prime Minister invited him to visit at #10 Downing Street on a Saturday evening he said no thank-you, he was preparing his sermon for the next day.
- Spurgeon started a college to train pastors, no now was turned away on account of their wealth, or lack thereof. Once when he was visiting he sent a very eager and shabby student on an errand to a tailor. The student was so happy to deliver the note and extremely surprised to discover that “he was to wait” while his new suit was made for him!!!
- Spurgeon had a lot of folk working in his church to help him preach and lead the people. One of these people was called “Spurgeon’s hunting dog” a man employed to seek out folk that were hurting and needing special attention.
- Spurgeon was a really busy man. He preached a lot, he had a lot of meetings, and he was a letter writer… he wrote at least 500 letters a week… that is a lot of letters!!!
And the se7en + 1th…
Meanwhile, we have a copy of Spurgeon Stories (Book 2) by Tony hunter to GiveAway. This GiveAway works in the usual way, comment before the end of this coming Sunday, 28 April 2013, and we will draw and publish the winners after that. I won’t respond to your comments as I do on our other posts because I don’t want to be included in our own giveaway.
Our GiveAways are open to everyone: If you have won a GiveAway before never fear – enter away. If you live on the far side of the world – enter away. Postage takes forever from here but eventually it should get to you! Good luck and happy commenting!!!
As usual we have to thank Christian Book Discounters, who supply Sunday Snippet GiveAway books for us to review and GiveAway. We are not paid to write our reviews and the opinions expressed are entirely our own.