This was quite a week. The week of little to no electricity as they “upgraded” our supply, internet on the blink and small children with streaming colds… Needless to say this is going to be a long weekend of reading on the couch and generally recovering…
World Book Day
In other news, we took World Book Day fairly seriously over here and some our gang had a brilliant time at The Reader’s Warehouse Battle of the Books Competition for Highschoolers. They had no idea what to expect, they knew things that I never expected and they had a fabulous time.
I, on the other hand, visited Biblionef, an NGO that has helped us enormously with our library projects in the past. They believe and rightly so, that all children need books for enjoyment, not just for school, in their own language and in their own context. There is no need to water down cultures and languages, they translate books into the child’s own language and share the stories in bright and beautiful books. They have partnered with a number of children’s homes in the Western Cape and were giving away a library starter kit to each of them. Their enthusiasm for books is contagious… and their passion for not just handing the books to children and saying read, but making books appealing and welcoming the child into a book, is contagious. Their’s is a fabulous mission, books can change lives and these folk are making a difference.
Lovely Links from This Week
- This Bohemian Trailer… on Country Living… I could so live here!!!
- Two posts made me sit my older kids down for a chat this week… this one: Keeping Teens Safe Online Means You Need to Know About Stuff, and then…
- If like us you are about to venture into the world of teen driving then this post is a must read: Teen driving on The Art of Simple.
- 35 Homemade Art Materials Kids Can Make… on the Artful Parent… This is get up and get into arty gear post like you cannot believe!!!
- Did You Really Think There Wouldn’t be a Cost? on the Rebelution.
- Handmade Charlotte and S’mores Ice Cream Sundaes…
- Or, while you are at HandMade Charlotte… Make a DIY Snake Belt.
- A Blast From the Past:
The Anniversary Edition
And the se7en + 1th link:
That’s us… Hope your weekend has been a fabulous one and we are so looking forward to another week of blogging with you all… not to mention a GiveAway or Two…