This past Monday we were lucky enough to meet up with the friendly David Melling…
And his very affable bear, Hugless Douglas…
What could be better on a wintry day… than a friendly bookshop,
With a delightful coffee and cocoa spread…
A drawing lesson…
And of course… Hugless Douglas… (note to self: this child needs a bear already).
Se7en + 1 Interview Questions for David Melling
- Did you always know you were going to create books?
- What were your favourite childhood books?
- Are you disciplined or inspired?
- How do you find your characters?
- Tell us about your work process.
- How does one get to be an illustrator?
- What do you eat for breakfast?
- If you could pick anywhere in the world to go on holiday where would you choose?
No, but I was a big reader, and so when I discovered a job in making books I was overjoyed.
I loved reading everything, but my favourite was Asterix and Obelix.
Disciplined – illustrating is a job, although I really do enjoy it. I have an office that I go to and work certain hours every day.
I love drawing animals and once I find one that I enjoy drawing I draw it and draw it so that I can get to know the character well.
I always have a notebook with me to capture ideas. I like letting ideas develop, and then leaving them to stew and coming back later to see if they can’t go down another path. Otherwise, I draw and draw and draw, I love drawing and drawing is like a muscle, you have to keep it trained.
Don’t stop drawing when you hit high school, just keep at it and practice all the time.
While Hugless Douglas has honey for breakfast, David Melling eats cereal.
Well, now that he has been here, on a flying visit, he definitely wants to visit South Africa with his family.