A Fabulous Fun Post… as the weekend winds down…
First things first… we would really love heaps of readers to enter out Rhino Craft GiveAway, it is a rather fabulous giveaway. Click on the link and head over there… R500 to spend on books, stationary, crafts, goodies at CNA.
Book of the Week
The Keeper, Published by Penguin Books, South Africa: In other news… I went to a great book launch last week, about an intriguing book. I only received the book the day before the launch so I decided to dash my way through it… very gripping, a page turner. I very quickly had to slow right down, this is not one that you want to rush at all. It is a book that needs to be savoured, the author, Marguerite Poland, is one of those rare people that are able to create with words, what others can’t even imagine. This is an intriguing book – I think for anyone who has ever visited a lighthouse anywhere, there is something remote and beautiful, not to mention moody, about them and the feeling that there is a story prevails. Let’s face it, lighthouses get to shine their light on a lot of the most dramatic life events…
So the book… is a very good read, with a delightfully South African flavour… I am loving it. It begins with a dramatic accident – that’s the hook. The story unravels as the Light House Keeper relates his story to the nursing sister looking after him. Think, all the intricacies of small town life, except the small town is so very much smaller than your regular small town because the drama all happens on the offshore island of Bird Island, in the late 1950’s. Life appears to be simple, how can it be complicated… a handful of light house keepers and guano collectors on a remote island in the middle of nowhere. The keepers come from a long line of keepers and the wive happen to be keepers’ daughters. Relationships are complicated and there is nowhere to turn… you are stuck on a remote island and things have to work out. Only with this disparate collection of characters, the unbreakable rules of the light and the history in every footfall… nothing can go well.
Last week I attended the launch of the book at one of our favourite independent book stores, right in our hood: Kalk Bay Book Store. What a great and eloquent speaker, Marguerite Poland, turned out to be, it was rather lovely to meet her. It was fascinating hearing the background to the book and the serendipitous events that led to the writing, not to mention the launch of the book. If you enjoy emotional intrigue and sifting through the twists and turns of other folks’ lives then you will enjoy this.
I was given a copy of this book by Penguin Books South Africa for revere purposes, I wasn’t paid to write the review and the opinions expressed are as usual entirely my own.
Here are some lovely links from this week:
- If you aren’t following Head Heart Hand’s Brilliant Student Tips then it is time to jump on board… really you are missing out if you aren’t and you can start following anytime: Here is snippet of the series with: Student Tip #13: Money Management.
- This Colourful Teepee on the Crafty Crown made me think that maybe it is time we started wapping some of our bazillion sticks with colourful yarn.
- Supposing we had an actual closet… I love this space put to good use: A Closet Transformation on Sew Many Ways.
- This just looks so incredible… fun, fun, fun… The magical world of playful.
- Because I love Imagine Childhood and apples… this makes a fabulous link of loveliness: Ten Amazing Apple Recipes on Imagine Childhood.
- The artist in you may make you want to enter Yuppie Chef Competition: card/magnet I know a few designer types round here, who could really get into a project like that.
- You know me, always looking for a good getaway, well here is one that is absolutely free…you just have to get there!!!
- A Blast From the Past: And here are a couple of links to posts, this week, from previous years:
- 2008: Terrific Tie-Dye Tees in Se7en Steps.
- 2009: Challah, Traditional Jewish Festival Bread in Se7en Steps.
- 2010: Se7en Whip Up a Galaxy of Paper Plates.
- 2011: Sunday Snippet: It is Much Easier to Give than to Receive.
- 2012: What We Are Reading Right Now: Featuring Disabled Characters.
- 2013: Se7en Online: Instagram Tips and Tricks…
And the se7en + 1th link:
That’s us… Hope your weekend was a fabulous one and we are so looking forward to another week of blogging with you all…