Miniature Skateboards in Se7en Steps…

May 28th, 2009 · 17 Comments

We are having some sort of skate board revival over here. Apparently if you don’t skateboard every moment of every day, rain or shine, your brain can’t function and you can’t get your math done!!! My kids know the way to my heart… Needless to say I sense a skateboard party looming in the next couple of months! But to tide us over we made mini-skateboards… quick, easy and they look so cute and funky! This is what you are aiming for.

DSC01682

Let’s meet the Players:

DSC01646

• ice-cream sticks, on the day someone had been through my supplies so we used thick card cut to the right shape.
  • markers to decorate
  • toothpicks – we had a couple of colored ones
  • beads – all sorts of different ones, we had to fiddle around a bit to find some that fitted over the ends of the toothpicks.
  • project glue – just a dash.

Let’s Play the Game:

Step 1: We took our cardboard decks and colored and patterned and designed.

DSC01651DSC01653

DSC01656

Step 2: Everyone chose their own color sticks and beads… this was by far the longest step in the process!

DSC01648

Step 3: We turned the “decks” over and put a blob of project glue on each end where we wanted the axels to go.

DSC01659

Step 4: Waited for them to dry… which meant rifling through the bead collection and claiming hundreds of beads for potential projects!

DSC01660

Step 5: Threaded our beads onto the axels for wheels.

DSC01681

DSC01684DSC01674DSC01673DSC01667DSC01661DSC01670DSC01665DSC01677

Step 6: Turned them over and we were good to go.

DSC01678DSC01668DSC01663DSC01672DSC01669DSC01685

Step 7: That’s it! Dash back outdoors to skate some more… I think these would make a great party craft!!!

Tags: Paper Crafts · Tuesday Art Task

• 1 Vicki Young // May 29, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I gotta show that one to Evangel. She is always looking for cute ideas for her girls’ craft class that she now leads during ladies’ Bible study. Those are so cute!
    We’re in CT, by the way, so nice and cool here, but we’re glad to be home for a few weeks.

• 2 se7en // May 29, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Hay V, These worked so well, quick and easy!!! Hope E likes them! Glad you guys are home, hopefully you are not freezing to death!!!

• 3 Katherine Marie // May 30, 2009 at 9:04 pm

SUPER NEAT!!

Katherine Marie’s last blog post..The Alphabet Game

• 4 se7en // May 30, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Hi K-M I look forward to your Saturday comment! And since your comments are closed can I say I just love the red hooded creature at your picnic this week and your memorial day berries were superb!!! Glad you like the skateboards and thanks for stopping by! Hope you guys have a great week – while we are really freezing to death!!!

• 5 Robin // Jun 15, 2009 at 2:17 pm

O.K I am slow, I can’t figure out the thread part. Does the thread stay on the skateboard and if so how is it tied off. My children love skateboarding. This is the best craft.

• 6 se7en // Jun 16, 2009 at 12:32 am

Hi R, Sorry this was unclear, we didn’t actually use thread, we just placed the beads onto the toothpick size sticks. And glued the sticks onto the little decks. Hope this helps if you are still stuck then let me know!

• 7 Se7en’s Complete Craft Collection… » se7en // Jan 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm

[…] Miniature Skateboards in Se7en Steps. […]

• 8 maggy, red ted art // Jul 14, 2011 at 11:46 am

Cute cute!! Love them – as always beautifully colourful and fun!

Thank you for linking to Kids Get Crafty!

Magg

• 9 se7en // Jul 14, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Glad you like them Maggy!!! I love your calendar idea – we have always used photographs but artwork is so much more fun!!!

• 10 creativejewishmom/sara // Jul 16, 2011 at 10:17 pm

so much fun and yes, a great idea for a party craft.
    Maybe you could add a little hook on one end for hanging it? Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

• 11 se7en // Jul 17, 2011 at 2:42 am

Hi Sara, Good to hear from you!!! That’s a cool idea, you could probably make a little hole in the mini-deck… Hope you have a great day!!!

• 12 Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive » Boy Get Crafty // Sep 1, 2011 at 6:53 am

[…] you… crafting with seven kids, keeping your hair on and having fun. Check out these adorable mini Skatboards. Love […]

• 13 Susan Mann // Sep 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm

What a great idea my boys will love these x

• 14 Amy // Apr 30, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I just found this via Pinterest, and I know this is an old article, but I can’t understand how the bead wheels stay on the sticks without sliding right off again. My son loves the little ‘Tech Deck” / fingerboards and this would be a cool craft to make with him.

• 15 se7en // May 1, 2012 at 1:07 am

Hi Amy, So great of you to stop by!!! Let me answer your question: We made sure the little holes in the beads were the same size as the sticks – not all beads in the bead box worked, some were too big. The little craft sticks we used were square and the whole in the beads were round so the square sticks jammed into the beads and they didn’t fall off. Hope that helps!!! Hope you have fun creating!!!

• 16 Se7en's Fabulous Friday Fun #172 - se7en // May 25, 2013 at 10:52 pm

[…] 2009: Miniature Skateboards in Se7en Steps. […]

• 17 Se7en's Fabulous Friday Fun #222... - se7en | se7en // May 19, 2014 at 4:07 am

[…] 2009: Miniature Skateboards in Se7en Steps. […]