I am in the last stages of getting ready for our first day back at school on Monday, and I tell you having a baby is easier than this!!! I know its hard to go from absolute freedom to back at work all in a day, trust me on this – I could so be on holiday forever… But we are keen to learn and read our new books and one person is chomping at the bit to get reading and another is dying to learn cursive – so all in all eager beavers…
I am in the home straight and browsing around for some links to inspire me and other short people when we get going. Our first day back is always hideous and I have learnt to not expect too much from it other than a tour of school with each kids explaining their schedule: “And then you get this book and you find that page in your folder and you answer these questions … and so on and on…” I find the more detailed I am on the first day, explaining my expectations, the better for all of us. Not just toss some answers on a page but to present their work with all your heart – it is their job after all!!!
Here’s our Back to School To Do list:
- Stationary and the Dresser – done it!
- Craft Materials and Science kits – done it!!!
- Books and the Book Nook – Almost done it!
- Files and the Instructors Guides Done it, thanks to an extremely capable twelve year old!!!
- Electives and extra-murals – that all depends on our goal for the year – plotted and planned!!!
- Sorting out a vague schedule – I will be able to see finally on Monday, how long the “school tour” takes to figure out our new schedule…
- The Lab – the room where we keep all our workbooks amidst the rest of the family dumping zone – DONE IT!!!! Not perfect but good to go. We can see the floor, the books are on the shelves and we can find stuff!!! And you thought I was just blogging!!!
So here we go Se7en links we will be playing with on Monday and in the upcoming weeks…
- LearnOutLoud: Heaps of free podcasts and audiofiles. Tons and tons of good stuff!!!
- Wonderful Science Page from InstructorWeb: Packed with just about everything.
- Merriam-Webster Visual Dictionary: This is so cool pick a topic and learn things you never knew existed!!!
- BBC Schools: There are so many fun things on this sight, for every subject. Things to pop on i-pods, games to play, notes to print… their BiteSize goodies are great and so is their news.
- Ministry to Children: Some brilliant ideas for Bible Study.
- Activity Village: Is great. Their list of topics covered is enormous and growing – you can find fabulous stuff on history and brilliant printables for keeping journals and inspiring writers of all abilities!!!
- Mr Donn: Gotta love this sight and all the resources for history and generally around the world goodies… I always get lost here – always!!!
That’s it!!! If you have some fabulous links to share that you and your kids love then go ahead pop them in the comments!!! And I will take you on a school tour once we get going…
I popped this post onto the Works For Me Wednesday Site – go and have a look there for all sorts of tips on absolutely anything.