I have a hood that has been begging for these and he even went so far as to bring me several recipes… and still I just didn’t get around to it, so eventually he just did it himself… here are Hood #2′s date chewies:
Let’s Meet The Players:
1 cup of sugar
3/4 cup of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 cup of crushed marie biscuits (the recipe’s he had called for pecan nuts but we are nut free so crushed biscuits filled the gap).
1 cup of chopped dates
1/2 cup of melted butter, which never made it into the photograph!!!
A little powdered (castor) sugar for dusting.
Let’s Play the Game:
- He began by placing the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- He popped half a packet of Marie Biscuits into the blender – it is the quickest way to get crumbs.
- Then pop the dates and eggs into the blender and shoozh around…
- Add the dates and melted butter to the mixture. Mix away to make a stiff dough.
- Squash the dough into a baking tray…
- Bake in a 180 degree celsius (350 degree Fahrenheit) oven for ten to twelve minutes.
- As soon as they come out of the oven slice them into squares.
- And as soon as they have cooled enough to touch then roll them into balls and roll them in the castor sugar to finish.
And the Se7en +1th Step:
And that’s it… a large platter of deliciousness. And one brother who thought they were so wonderful that they should be made the size of tennis balls!!! High Praise, I tell you…
Have a fun weekend!!!