Se7en Steps to Easy Chicken in Orange Juice for Dinner…

September 27th, 2011 · 14 Comments

Wednesday night is mother-in-law night at our house… my mom in law comes for dinner every week and I need a meal that cooks on its own while I do a quick clean and tidy. She loves roast chicken and roast potatoes… So much so that when we do our monthly shop I buy the chickens and pop them in the freezer in anticipation. But every now and then I have to break free… And this recipe is my great rebellion, I just can’t resist it when I have a bag of oranges lying around and several helpful chefs.

Let’s Meet the Players: Let’s just say this is a family recipe so measurements are according to need rather than an actual measurement!!!

• Enough chicken pieces for dinner, sometimes I used boney ones other times the skinned de-boned kind, whatever you prefer.
  • A couple of onions, well chopped – we have a resident onion chopper perfect for the job!!!
  • Mustard.
  • Brown sugar, I use about half a cup and I split it into two halves.
  • Orange Juice to cover. We squeezed ours from fresh.
  • Butter.
  • A tablespoon or two of flour.

Let’s Play the Game:

1. Place your chicken pieces in a oven proof dish and put a layer of mustard on top of each chicken piece.
  2. DSC_0411

3. Then spoon the onions on top of the mustard.
  4. DSC_0412

5. Sprinkle one half of the brown sugar on top of the onions.
  6. DSC_0416

7. And cover with orange juice.
  8. DSC_0424

9. Add some dabs of butter. And then pop it into a medium oven for about 45 minutes.
  10. DSC_0430

11. Once your chicken is cooked, remove it from the oven and place the “juice” into a pot. Keep the chicken separate in the original dish.
  12. DSC_0466DSC_0464

13. Sprinkle the remaining half of sugar onto the chicken pieces and return it to the oven while you get on with the sauce.
  14. DSC_0465

And the se7en + 1th Step:

15. Whisk a table spoon or two of flour into the sauce on the stove top and whisk away until your sauce thickens.
  16. DSC_0467

We usually serve this with rice and the delicious sauce poured all over it… add a garden salad and dinner is done.

There you go… delicious dinner… and everyone likes it!!!

Tags: Monday Munchies · Quick Meals

• 1 LindaOz // Sep 28, 2011 at 1:17 am

Okee Dokee. This is going to be tonight’s dinner. I’ll let you know how it goes :-) Thanks for sharing.

• 2 se7en // Sep 28, 2011 at 2:12 am

Okee Dokee LindaOz… It always makes me a little nervous when someone says they are going to try a recipe!!! This is one of our favorites and I hope you all enjoy it too!!! Have a fabulous day!!!

• 3 irene // Sep 28, 2011 at 8:24 am

Oh, my this looks delish – definitely on my list. Yum

• 4 se7en // Sep 28, 2011 at 9:05 am

Hay Irene, Delish it is… Hope you have a fabulous day!!!

• 5 3GoatMom // Sep 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Prayers work in mysterious ways – needed new recipies – quick and easy – can’t get any better than this – look out kitchen here it comes! Thanks for the idea! Yum

• 6 Karen M // Sep 28, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Yep, that sure does look good! We have an onion lover in our house and I think this dish will be her new favorite. Just took the chicken out of the freezer and put this on the menu for tomorrow! Thanks!!
    Karen M´s last blog post ..From your Child

• 7 se7en // Sep 28, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hay 3GoatMom, I am so glad we could be the answer to prayer – hope you all enjoy it!!! Have a great day!!!

• 8 se7en // Sep 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Hi Karen M, This is a greta recipe and it has a brilliant sauce that everyone just gollops up!!! Hope you all enjoy it!!!

• 9 LindaOz // Sep 28, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Hi again. We had this for dinner last night and it was great. The kids liked it, and I love how easy it is to prepare. I need to use more orange juice next time for a bit more sauce (I love lots of sauce) but I think it’s a keeper. Thanks again :-)

• 10 se7en // Sep 28, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Hay LindaOz… Sounds like I am starting a food revolution – people the world over had chicken in orange juice for dinner last night!!! So glad you liked it!!!

• 11 LindaOz // Sep 28, 2011 at 11:53 pm

:-) We’ll have to start calling you Jamie Oliver!!

• 12 se7en // Sep 29, 2011 at 1:57 am

Funny LindaOz!!!

• 13 Karen M // Sep 30, 2011 at 12:22 am

Made it tonight and my family thinks its a keeper (even though I just realized that I forgot the butter!)! Thanks and feel free to share some more of your favorite recipes. ;)
    Karen M´s last blog post ..From your Child

• 14 se7en // Sep 30, 2011 at 2:28 am

Oh Karen M – I love how everyone is enjoying this recipe!!! I must say we love it!!! Hope you all have a fun weekend!!!