Wednesday night is mother-in-law night at our house… my mom in law comes for dinner every week and I need a meal that cooks on its own while I do a quick clean and tidy. She loves roast chicken and roast potatoes… So much so that when we do our monthly shop I buy the chickens and pop them in the freezer in anticipation. But every now and then I have to break free… And this recipe is my great rebellion, I just can’t resist it when I have a bag of oranges lying around and several helpful chefs.
Let’s Meet the Players: Let’s just say this is a family recipe so measurements are according to need rather than an actual measurement!!!
- Enough chicken pieces for dinner, sometimes I used boney ones other times the skinned de-boned kind, whatever you prefer.
- A couple of onions, well chopped – we have a resident onion chopper perfect for the job!!!
- Brown sugar, I use about half a cup and I split it into two halves.
- Orange Juice to cover. We squeezed ours from fresh.
- A tablespoon or two of flour.
Let’s Play the Game:
- Place your chicken pieces in a oven proof dish and put a layer of mustard on top of each chicken piece.
- Then spoon the onions on top of the mustard.
- Sprinkle one half of the brown sugar on top of the onions.
- And cover with orange juice.
- Add some dabs of butter. And then pop it into a medium oven for about 45 minutes.
- Once your chicken is cooked, remove it from the oven and place the “juice” into a pot. Keep the chicken separate in the original dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of sugar onto the chicken pieces and return it to the oven while you get on with the sauce.
- Whisk a table spoon or two of flour into the sauce on the stove top and whisk away until your sauce thickens.
And the se7en + 1th Step:
We usually serve this with rice and the delicious sauce poured all over it… add a garden salad and dinner is done.
There you go… delicious dinner… and everyone likes it!!!