Se7en + 1 Build an Apartment Block out of Shoe Boxes…

February 22nd, 2012 · 30 Comments

So Lilla A has another project… and when Lilla A calls for some crafty fun we always respond… though the thought of Se7en + 1 shoebox houses dotted around the house was a bit of a daunting to me. I shouldn’t have worried, it instantly became an apartment block and the best play fun in weeks. I tell you there is no playhouse in the world nearly as much fun as the one you have made yourself… and between them my kids had a veritable village of fun!!!

We actually began this project way before we got to shoeboxes… we started by chatting about our dream rooms and what would be needed to make the ultimate room and what a fun project that was!!!

Hood #1: Needed a whole house not a room!!! Place for the helicopter to land and the telescope… and I see a trumpet!!! And a hankering to live on the top floor.

Hood #2: My techno kid, wanted a room lined with computers and banks of plugs and underfloor wiring… and a pool in the center… because everyone needs to cool off when they are working.

Hood #3: Drew a room that looks very like the spot she has… though apparently her room needs flowers on the ceiling and a tray on the bed for doing projects… both totally do-able.
Hood #4: Had a vision for multiple pods in his room… with tunnels and stairs interlinking… the “pods.”DSC_0317

Hood #5: Drew a kitchen, of course, full of busy chefs and look closely at the blue line… that is the stairway to the fire escape!!!

Hood #6: Did not surprise us with a tiny little bed for herself surrounded by a splash of color!!!

Hoods #7 and #8 did not draw a dream room but I did… I have always wanted an attic room, with a deck chair and a lemon tree… And a view of the sea. Inside a nook for reading, a desk for working and a hammock for sleeping in…

A couple of days later, I had gathered all the boxes together, a stack of collage papers… pens, glue and well stuff… and I left my guys to it. Didn’t have to ask them twice!!! Industry followed…

And hours later, I was amazed at how well their drawings corresponded to their boxes, clearly they have a very distinct mental image of their ideal room!!! Even though no-one was quite finished they were ready to play. I have a feeling they will be adapted and changed and played with for ages… really the best crafty fun we have had in a long time.

Hood #1: Managed a wall of books, and I love the eyes on his lampshades!!!

Hood #3: Got her desk under bed!!!

Hood #4: Spent ages making his tunnels and rooms to hang out in.

Hood #5: And then the chef… spent ages pouring through food magazines, looking for things to put into his fridge.

Hood #6: A wild splash of color and there she is with her best friends over for a tea party.

Hood #7: Cut her way through a magazine, looking for wonderful things to pop into her room.

Hood #8: Finally got to use his stickers that he got for his birthday… and turned how box into a dog house, complete with water bowls and a blanket.

And finally – there’s my deck chair, my lemon tree, hammock and basically a good place to read spot.

And here is our apartment block… everybody with their own extra special place to play!!!

And play and play!!!

Thanks Lilla A for another fun project!!!

Tags: Recycle Crafts · Tuesday Art Task

• 1 maggy, red ted art // Feb 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Oooh what a FANTASTIC apartment block. I adore it!! Now off to find a shoebox!

Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy
    maggy, red ted art´s last blog post ..Win tickets to Charlie and Lola’s Best Bestest Play

• 2 se7en // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Hay Maggy!!! So glad you liked our apartment!!! Just so happy to have something to link up on the day – we’ve been somehow off the pace lately!!! Hope you have a great week!!!

• 3 mermaid // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:58 am

Brilliant!
    Love it!

• 4 se7en // Feb 23, 2012 at 1:20 am

Glad you liked it Mermaid, Hope you have a great week!!!

• 5 katherine marie // Feb 23, 2012 at 4:31 am

I love them! ALL of them! you have more than a house— you have a colorful, wonderful creative village!

• 6 Alissa @ Creative WIth Kids // Feb 23, 2012 at 7:41 am

These are fun- I love your drawing or your dream room!
    Alissa @ Creative WIth Kids´s last blog post ..*New* Now Co-Hosting the Kids Get Crafty Link-Up

• 7 se7en // Feb 23, 2012 at 9:00 am

Hay KM, We had such fun making these!!! And the hours and hours of play have made then so worthwhile… seriously we can ditch the dolls house, we totally have our own home made one!!! Hope you have a fun creative week!!!

• 8 se7en // Feb 23, 2012 at 9:04 am

Hi Alissa, Good to meet you and thanks for stopping by!!! Hope you have fun hosting Kids get Crafty, it is such a cool linky each week!!!

• 9 Zoe // Feb 23, 2012 at 10:10 am

So so love that you made your own room too. I’d hang out there with you :-)
    Zoe´s last blog post ..How to eat worms

• 10 Cheryl // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm

What a great project. Nice to see the design stage. I’m not sure which room I’d like to hang out in most. Hmm. I think I need to find three shoe boxes for the children to do this. Maybe four and I can join in too!
    Cheryl´s last blog post ..Yarn-Along – bit distracted

• 11 se7en // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Hay Zoe, This was a very fun project and can you imagine a library of shoeboxes filled with book scenes!!! Wouldn’t it be a good place to hang out!!! Have a great day!!!

• 12 se7en // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Cheryl, Hi!!! Definitely get four boxes and really any box will do, shoe boxes, cereal boxes, computer part boxes… It might have taken an afternoon to make, but days later everyone is still playing with them!!! Hope you have fun!!!

• 13 Michelle // Feb 24, 2012 at 1:16 am

Wow, they spent a ton of time and creativity on making those “apartments” tell them I said they were awesome! I love it.

Come visit us at Layers of Learning.

• 14 creativejewishmom/sara // Feb 24, 2012 at 10:15 am

I knew you guys would make some amazing rooms! Love the sketches before hand! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!
    creativejewishmom/sara´s last blog post ..Signs Of Spring In The Upper Galilee

• 15 se7en // Feb 24, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Hay Michelle, So good to meet you, So glad you like our apartments!!! Of course I will stop by!!! Hope you have a fun weekend!!!

• 16 se7en // Feb 24, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Hay Sara, We had such fun with this project – So glad you like Lilla A as much as we do!!! Hope you have a fun weekend!!!

• 17 Victoria // Feb 25, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Wow, these are great. You and your children are so creative. I’m pinning this for the future.

• 18 se7en // Feb 25, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Thanks Victoria, Glad you liked them!!! Hope you have a fun weekend!!!

• 19 C is for Cape Town // Feb 26, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Such a wonderful project! Love that you paired the finished products with their initial sketches and I love LOVE your room – sounds perfect for any busy mama! You sketch beautifully too – no wonder your kids are all so talented :)

• 20 se7en // Feb 26, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Hay C is for Cape Town!!! Good to have you stop by!!! So glad you enjoyed our project!!! It was a lot of fun – so much more fun when I join in – so I usually do!!! Hope you have a great week!!!

• 21 lilla a // Feb 26, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I love this post, and I love to see how you have worked with it. Wow. It is amazing too see how they have managed to transform the sketches into 3d rooms, like hood 4′s tunnels and multiple rooms. Like real architects. They have put so much effort in it, all of them. And I love hood 8′s dog house! Thank you!
    lilla a´s last blog post ..Prinsessklänning / Princess dress

• 22 se7en // Feb 26, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Lilla A Thank you for another wonderful project… you just have such fun ideas!!! So glad you liked the collection!!! Have a fun week!!!

• 23 Ellie // Feb 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm

What a fab apartment block, looks like it was loads of fun to make and play with, thanks for sharing. Ellie

• 24 se7en // Feb 29, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thanks Ellie, So glad you liked our project – we had a lot of fun creating it!!!

• 25 TJ // Mar 1, 2012 at 10:43 am

Oh, that looks like so much fun! And so creative you bunch are!

• 26 se7en // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Glad you liked it TJ, It was such a lot of fun to make!!! Hope you have a great day!!!

• 27 lauraZ // Aug 15, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I always love your posts!

• 28 se7en // Aug 15, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Thank You LauraZ, Hope you have a great week!!!

• 29 hilke // Aug 16, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Wow … they are all fantastic!!
    hilke´s last blog post ..Coronas / Crowns / Kronen

• 30 se7en // Aug 16, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Thank you Hilke, So glad you liked them!!! Have a good day!!!