This is the dish that is taking centre stage in our home right now… crumble for breakfast, crumble at tea-time, crumble for desert. Crumble is having a moment of glory over here. While I have always made delicious and traditional apple crumble, I do live with a chef and a heap of new and delicious flavours are hitting centre stage…
Let’s Meet the Players:
We use a large baking dish, you can use a pie dish, anything really but remember this is delicious and very more-ish. If you don’t live with a family of ten it makes a fabulous left-over treat… so for once big is definitely better.
So many choices!!! Apples; apples and pears; pears and plums; peaches and pineapple… you just need enough fruit to cover the dish you are using. We’ve been experimenting with spices as well… cinnamon with apples, of course; a little ground ginger on the plums and all spice with the pineapple.
For the Crumble Topping:
- 200 g flour
- 200g demerara sugar
- 100g porridge Oats
- 100g Butter
Let’s Play the Game
- Place your oven on 200C/400F to pre-heat.
- Peel, core and chop your fruit. To be honest we don’t always peel our fruit, who peels a plum!!! Once the fruit is soft and cooked no-one over here has mentioned that their fruit wasn’t peeled.
- Pop your four crumble ingredients into a blender… If you don’t have a blender, then put all the dry ingredients in to a bowl. Chop your butter into chunks and using your fingers, rub the butter into your dry ingredients to make the crumble topping.
- Whizz around a couple of times to create mixture that looks like crumbs…
- Cover up your fruit in the crumbly mixture…
- Really cover it completely…
- Place it in your warm oven for about half an hour. Just long enough to clean up all the tools you used. Once the top is starting to golden it is time to take your crumble out of the oven and let it cool off a little.
- Serve it up… with ice-cream or greek yogurt or custard or cream… really anything goes!!!
And the se7en + 1th Step:
And always keep a little corner over, you never know when you might need a mid-night snack!!!
That’s is – hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!!!