While my kids don’t do a lot of extra-murals during school time they do make up for lost time during the school holidays… I do seek out programs that they can join in and holiday programs they can sign up for. They love it and over the years they have built up quite a repertoire of different things they have tried. Also they meet tons of kids this way, from all walks of life. I do have the advantage of safety in numbers and have never had to send a child anywhere new on their own, they either go with a sibling or a friend… and we have been lucky they have yet to go to anything that they didn’t enjoy enough to really want to go back to!!!
- Sporting Chance: All my kids have enjoyed cricket and soccer at Sporting Chance during the school holidays… they usually have a week or two of coaching in the mornings during the holidays, where kids from all over Cape Town gather at a couple of venues and play. They are very organized, the coaches are fantastic and the kids have heaps of energetic fun.
- The Planetarium: Has great programs for kids and since I know less than nothing about anything way out of this world, I consider it vital that they go to something at the Planetarium from time to time.
- The South African Museum: Often has fabulous holiday programs every time my kids have been there they have come back raving and ready for more!!! These are usually an hour or two in the morning. I usually drop the kids that are attending and the roam the museum with the rest of the gang. If the little ones get restless while they are waiting there are great gardens to play in right outside, not to mention free parking.
- Save Our Seas Shark Center has a school holiday program: I can’t rave on long enough about the shark center. If you haven’t been yet then call them and see what’s on on the day and take a visit!!! To find out more you can contact them: Save Our Seas Shark Centre Tel: +27 21 788 6694
- The Aquarium: has great artsy crafts and activities during the holidays, if you are planning a visit then make sure to have a look at their program and you could include a stop off and make a craft or watch a show. They have fabulous holiday programs for kids and they don’t have to be members.
- Kirstenbosch: Has great nature art programs during the holidays. You can contact Sue Nepgen here.
- Frank Joubert Art School: Always have great art classes in the holidays… you can contact Gabby for more info.
- Noordhoek Farm Village: always has a heap of stuff going on… with free activities for kids, seriously!!!
And since I am not one to reinvent the wheel… Here is a great lists of holiday activities I found for you to peruse… actually I will be scanning through looking for fun, new things for my kids to do. Cape Town Kids: has a great list of things to do. Enjoy your holidays.