Wednesday night is mother-in-law night at our house… my mom in law comes for dinner every week and I need a meal that cooks on its own while I do a quick clean and tidy. She loves roast chicken and roast potatoes… So much so that when we do our monthly shop I buy the chickens and pop them in the freezer in anticipation. But every now and then I have to break free… And this recipe is my great rebellion, I just can’t resist it when I have a bag of oranges lying around and several helpful chefs.
Let’s Meet the Players: Let’s just say this is a family recipe so measurements are according to need rather than an actual measurement!!!
- Enough chicken pieces for dinner, sometimes I used boney ones other times the skinned de-boned kind, whatever you prefer.
- A couple of onions, well chopped – we have a resident onion chopper perfect for the job!!!
- Brown sugar, I use about half a cup and I split it into two halves.
- Orange Juice to cover. We squeezed ours from fresh.
- A tablespoon or two of flour.
Let’s Play the Game:
- Place your chicken pieces in a oven proof dish and put a layer of mustard on top of each chicken piece.
- Then spoon the onions on top of the mustard.
- Sprinkle one half of the brown sugar on top of the onions.
- And cover with orange juice.
- Add some dabs of butter. And then pop it into a medium oven for about 45 minutes.
- Once your chicken is cooked, remove it from the oven and place the “juice” into a pot. Keep the chicken separate in the original dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of sugar onto the chicken pieces and return it to the oven while you get on with the sauce.
- Whisk a table spoon or two of flour into the sauce on the stove top and whisk away until your sauce thickens.
And the se7en + 1th Step:
We usually serve this with rice and the delicious sauce poured all over it… add a garden salad and dinner is done.
There you go… delicious dinner… and everyone likes it!!!
15 Replies to “Se7en Steps to Easy Chicken in Orange Juice for Dinner…”
Okee Dokee. This is going to be tonight’s dinner. I’ll let you know how it goes 🙂 Thanks for sharing.
Okee Dokee LindaOz… It always makes me a little nervous when someone says they are going to try a recipe!!! This is one of our favorites and I hope you all enjoy it too!!! Have a fabulous day!!!
Oh, my this looks delish – definitely on my list. Yum
Hay Irene, Delish it is… Hope you have a fabulous day!!!
Prayers work in mysterious ways – needed new recipies – quick and easy – can’t get any better than this – look out kitchen here it comes! Thanks for the idea! Yum
Yep, that sure does look good! We have an onion lover in our house and I think this dish will be her new favorite. Just took the chicken out of the freezer and put this on the menu for tomorrow! Thanks!!
Hay 3GoatMom, I am so glad we could be the answer to prayer – hope you all enjoy it!!! Have a great day!!!
Hi Karen M, This is a greta recipe and it has a brilliant sauce that everyone just gollops up!!! Hope you all enjoy it!!!
Hi again. We had this for dinner last night and it was great. The kids liked it, and I love how easy it is to prepare. I need to use more orange juice next time for a bit more sauce (I love lots of sauce) but I think it’s a keeper. Thanks again 🙂
Hay LindaOz… Sounds like I am starting a food revolution – people the world over had chicken in orange juice for dinner last night!!! So glad you liked it!!!
🙂 We’ll have to start calling you Jamie Oliver!!
Made it tonight and my family thinks its a keeper (even though I just realized that I forgot the butter!)! Thanks and feel free to share some more of your favorite recipes. 😉
Oh Karen M – I love how everyone is enjoying this recipe!!! I must say we love it!!! Hope you all have a fun weekend!!!