Saturday Spot: African Street Arts – Feast Your Eyes…

March 8th, 2010 · 22 Comments

The Crafty Crow is having a virtual world tour this month, you have to stop by and look at it!!! With a goal to writing a post on a local craft we went on a quest, photographing street art wherever we visited this past week. Now street art here is bright, colorful and mostly recycled. It is made from very easy to find materials, how often I have thought – I wish I had thought of that!!! So here you go a photographic tour of street crafts:

Our street art really goes beyond postcards and t-shirts!!!

DSC_0011DSC_0009

There are vendors on almost every corner and this is where you learn the masterful art of bartering. Heckling to take their photographs and more important paying in cans of Coke (mid-summer currency) to take photographs of their merchandise. Mostly wire and beads. There is metal and creatures made out of soda cans, there is a reason for their currency!!!

DSC_0360DSC_0365

DSC_0362DSC_0353

DSC_0363DSC_0361

And you have to love the beaded bowls:

We couldn’t find all the crafts we were looking for, they are seasonal and trendy, a craft you loved last week might well be so last week and so not on this weeks street corner. So we headed for a store that sells street crafts in Noordhoek Farm village… and has so much variety that you could probably spend a year there and still find new products to oooh and aaah over…

This man was fabulously friendly – offered the opportunity to photograph his products and entertained the kids while I photographed away. Not to mention letting eight kids loose with his merchandise and then being kind enough to let us test drive.

DSC_0043DSC_0042

DSC_0001DSC_0700

And more…

DSC_0023DSC_0026

DSC_0020DSC_0027

DSC_0045DSC_0036

DSC_0021DSC_0017

And this is what my kids loved on the day – pull the string and the arms and legs fly!!!

We had to take these two home with us:

DSC_0235DSC_0237

That’s it… Hope you enjoyed our whirlwind tour!!!

Tags: Saturday Spot · Shopping

• 1 Kerry // Mar 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Your post made me feel very ‘Proudly South-African!’

The African Experience shop is AWESOME! I bought 90% of our Xmas gifts for overseas family and friends in there, and every one was a huge hit!

• 2 se7en // Mar 8, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Hay K, I have shopped there forever too!!! Buy always left the kids with the father person in the play park too terrified to let them venture into all those touchables… Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!!! The father person was at work and I had a task to perform!!! In we went… They had a total blast in such a friendly shop!!! Lovely!!! Hope you have a good week!!!

• 3 Mliss // Mar 8, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Se7en! Discovered a blog and just cannot remember if you have discovered and mentioned it yourself, but when I came across it I couldn’t help but think of you ;-)
    check it out: http://orgjunkie.com/

• 4 se7en // Mar 8, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Hi Mliss, Just love the OrgJunkie!!! Have a great week!!!

• 5 katherinemarie // Mar 8, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I would go CRAZY with that much vibrant and gorgeous COLOR!

• 6 Beth S. // Mar 9, 2010 at 2:20 am

Thanks for showing us all the really neat stuff! I love looking at all the wonderful crafts!

• 7 se7en // Mar 9, 2010 at 3:14 am

Hi there KM, Glad you liked our bright and beautiful world!!! Loved your Jump/Joy we all need to be reminded that we have a champion!!! Hope you guys have a great week!!!

• 8 se7en // Mar 9, 2010 at 3:14 am

Hi B, Glad you liked the crafty goodies!!! Hope you have a fabulous week!!!

• 9 Susan@improvamama // Mar 9, 2010 at 6:24 am

so beautiful! what a lovely adventure to have close to you (I would have to leave my wallet at home bc wow so many gorgeous textures and colors!)

• 10 se7en // Mar 9, 2010 at 7:49 am

Hi S, Learning to live with temptation on every corner, at every stop light!!! Have a great week!!!

• 11 Leigh from 123 blog // Mar 9, 2010 at 10:29 am

We ARE blessed, aren’t we?

I bought loads of those sugar spoons with beaded handles as gifts for overseas visits – they are small, easy to transport and USEFUL. And our friends will think of us every time they have a cup of tea :)

• 12 se7en // Mar 9, 2010 at 11:26 am

Hi L, Our country sure has a lot of creative people!!! I also post spoons all over the show!!! Have a good day!!!

• 13 Sally Grierson // Mar 9, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Thanks for great story and details of Tom and his shop! Funnily enough Tom is the March personality at Noordhoek Farm Village!!! Check out his story here.

Not sure if your readers know that every Saturday morning between 10.30am and 12.30pm there are free kids activities at the bandstand at Noordhoek Farm Village. There are various themes but all with an educational and environmental slant, getting the kids to interact and learn through creative play. And it really is FREE!

• 14 se7en // Mar 9, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Thanks Sally for all the information!!! We have had such fun at Noordhoek farm village lately we blogged about breakfast there as well!!! So I hope you enjoy rave reviews!!!! Have a good day!!!

• 15 Patty Palmer // Mar 20, 2010 at 5:21 pm

These images are truly inspiring. I’m always on the hunt for new art lessons and your photos are wonderful. Just love the puppets!
    Thanks

• 16 se7en // Mar 21, 2010 at 8:14 am

Hi PP, I am so glad you enjoyed our street tour!!! Thanks so much for stopping by to comment!!! I love browsing through your art lessons, your students sure look like they have a lot of fun!!! Have a good week…

• 17 Saturday Spot: Simonstown – A Photographic Walk… » se7en // Jul 11, 2011 at 4:04 am

[…] And ropes… And potential for ropes… And swirling tides… Then we wandered into the street art… And history… And if you visit Simonstown then you have to say hello to the famous Just […]

• 18 Se7en + 1 of our Favorite Picture Books from South Africa – And a GiveAway… » se7en // Feb 20, 2012 at 1:45 am

[…] a true story about a man, called Golden, who makes flowers out of tin cans, which is a very popular street art in South Africa. Anywhere where there are shops or markets or restaurants you will see folk selling street art as […]

• 19 Irene // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I was given your site as a suggestion for craft ideas for my family-based geography project called Travel on Tuesday. (we are “traveling” to South Africa this week) I love this post and will use your photos as inspiration! Thank you!

• 20 se7en // Sep 10, 2012 at 12:52 am

Hi Irene, Thanks so much for stopping by… Hope you have a wonderful “trip”!!!

• 21 Se7en's Fabulous Friday Fun #175 - se7en // Jun 15, 2013 at 3:06 am

[…] Feast your Eyes on South African Street Arts… […]

• 22 beaded animals // Aug 13, 2014 at 7:54 am

Love the beaded animals, soda can animals and the beaded flowers!