The Quickest Pinata in the World in Se7en Steps…

April 15th, 2010 · 20 Comments

Okay, I confess I am mad for pinatas. We have quite a few parties round here every year and every party has a pinata. I have posted How to make pinata’s before: Regular paper mache one’s, teeny tiny individual ones and instant gift bag ones… but I have been looking for an instant pinata for a while. And finally after a leaving things to the last minute again last weekend I came up with an instant pinata solution…

Let’s Meet The Players:

1. Old Newspapers.
  2. Glue Stick.
  3. Pipe cleaners, or whatever else you want to use to decorate it.
  4. Diluted cold glue (white glue, project glue whatever you call it).
  5. Construction paper.

Let’s Play the Game in se7en steps:

1. I am all for recycling so grab a couple of old newspaper pages and place them on top of each others. Draw an outline of the basic shape of your pinata on the top sheet and cut it out.
  2. DSC_0302
  3. Just using a regular glue stick, glue the layers together around the edges. Leave the top open for adding in surprises later.
  4. DSC_0303
  5. At this stage tape any extra decorating onto the newspaper shape… we needed some pipe cleaner feet taped on.
  6. DSC_0306
  7. Just between you and me, our pinata needed a bit more help!!! So out came the construction paper and we tore it up into small squares. We diluted cold glue – about 1 part water to two parts glue. And we were ready to decorate.
  8. DSC_0304
  9. Paint your pinata with the diluted glue and stick the torn pieces of construction paper everywhere… Seriously just keep sticking!!!
  10. DSC_0308

11. Leave it to dry – the diluted glue dried really quickly and in an hour or two it made a nice crispy shell. We popped our surprises into the middle of the shell… and just used glue stick to close it. I would have made this the night before to make sure that it dried in time but really the diluted glue dries very quickly and turns newsprint into a really crispy paper.
  12. DSC_0319
  13. That’s it, we were done!!! One chicken pinata ready for a Little Red Hen party.
  14. DSC_0332DSC_0331

That’s it!!! I will post more about our Little Red Hen Party in the next couple of days!!!

I popped this post onto the Works For Me Wednesday Site – go and have a look there for all sorts of tips on absolutely anything.

Tags: Party Tips · Plenty of Parties

• 1 Olivia // Apr 15, 2010 at 9:33 am

Love it! Thanks again. You always inspire my lazy last minute self. In 4 weeks time I have a baby due AND my 1st born turns 6. Frantic and fun.

• 2 se7en // Apr 15, 2010 at 9:58 am

Hi O… Isn’t it funny how all their birthdays pile up!!! Hope you are getting heaps of rest!!! Have a good day!!!

• 3 katherinemarie // Apr 15, 2010 at 3:59 pm

YOU make every project look so easy!!! This is adorable!

• 4 se7en // Apr 15, 2010 at 4:26 pm

KM it is so good to hear from you… just wait there’s a party on the way!!!

• 5 Se7en’s Little Red Hen Party… » se7en // Apr 16, 2010 at 3:20 am

[...] ← The Quickest Pinata in the World in Se7en Steps… [...]

• 6 Kristi // Apr 17, 2010 at 2:20 am

Awesome! I am such a procrastinator… I think my next party could use this kind of pick me up!The grown up kids will love it!

• 7 se7en // Apr 17, 2010 at 7:21 am

Hi K, I used to do elaborate pinatas starting weeks in advance but as we have more and more parties so I take longer and longer to get going!!! I needed a last minute idea desperately!!!

• 8 Stephanie // Apr 18, 2010 at 6:34 am

You are amazing! We haven’t done the pinata thing at our own parties….kids swinging bats near others…oh man, that’s just an accident waiting to happen in 4-year-old-world!
    I love this idea though….we’ll just have to come up with some other reason to make this!

• 9 se7en // Apr 19, 2010 at 1:10 am

Hi S, Again!!! You are so right about the lethalness of kids and bats… and they just get wilder as they get bigger – trust me on this!!! We get them to line up behind a mark – but in the excitement… I usually surround the players with a heap of Dad’s. And they end up policing until the pinata is broken up!!! Hope you have a great week!!!

• 10 Megan // Apr 21, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Wow! We are having a party this weekend, and just contemplating having a pinata. I think I might try this!!! Thanks!

• 11 Bitterroot Mama // Apr 21, 2010 at 5:35 pm

These are so cute! What a great idea. I love the little red hen theme!

• 12 Things to Do, Things to Love « jodimichelle // Apr 21, 2010 at 6:50 pm

[...] Super quick pinata and super adorable. [...]

• 13 se7en // Apr 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Hi Bitterroot Mama, Glad you like it… The little red hen was really sweet and worked really well!!! Have a fun week!!!

• 14 se7en // Apr 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Hi M, Oooh we love parties… Hope you have a great party weekend!!!

• 15 Michelle Petrie-Burton // Feb 3, 2011 at 9:51 am

you’re a lifesaver – have to have some ready for tomorrow!

• 16 se7en // Feb 3, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Hay Michelle!!! O love being a life-saver!!! Hope they turn out great for you… I popped over to your store, it looks totally cool I have always wanted to vist the old Biscuit Mill… say hi if you see a mom of many strolling about!!! Have a fun day!!!

• 17 Saturday Spot: Plenty of Parties… » se7en // Feb 1, 2012 at 2:11 pm

[...] Step 5: Everything you need to know about Party Pinata’s… The Quickest Piñata in the World in Se7en Steps [...]

• 18 Se7en Steps to a Summer Party… » se7en // Feb 10, 2012 at 12:22 am

[...] marker spots and our watermelon bags had seeds too. Step 5: Quickest Piñata… this really is the quickest easiest piñata in the world and can be made on the spur of the moment… Seriously a couple of sheets of newspaper glued [...]

• 19 Se7en's Fabulous Friday Fun #166 - se7en // Apr 14, 2013 at 5:45 pm