Okay, I confess I am mad for pinatas. We have quite a few parties round here every year and every party has a pinata. I have posted How to make pinata’s before: Regular paper mache one’s, teeny tiny individual ones and instant gift bag ones… but I have been looking for an instant pinata for a while. And finally after a leaving things to the last minute again last weekend I came up with an instant pinata solution…
Let’s Meet The Players:
- Old Newspapers.
- Glue Stick.
- Pipe cleaners, or whatever else you want to use to decorate it.
- Diluted cold glue (white glue, project glue whatever you call it).
- Construction paper.
Let’s Play the Game in se7en steps:
- I am all for recycling so grab a couple of old newspaper pages and place them on top of each others. Draw an outline of the basic shape of your pinata on the top sheet and cut it out.
- Just using a regular glue stick, glue the layers together around the edges. Leave the top open for adding in surprises later.
- At this stage tape any extra decorating onto the newspaper shape… we needed some pipe cleaner feet taped on.
- Just between you and me, our pinata needed a bit more help!!! So out came the construction paper and we tore it up into small squares. We diluted cold glue – about 1 part water to two parts glue. And we were ready to decorate.
- Paint your pinata with the diluted glue and stick the torn pieces of construction paper everywhere… Seriously just keep sticking!!!
- Leave it to dry – the diluted glue dried really quickly and in an hour or two it made a nice crispy shell. We popped our surprises into the middle of the shell… and just used glue stick to close it. I would have made this the night before to make sure that it dried in time but really the diluted glue dries very quickly and turns newsprint into a really crispy paper.
- That’s it, we were done!!! One chicken pinata ready for a Little Red Hen party.
That’s it!!! I will post more about our Little Red Hen Party in the next couple of days!!!
I popped this post onto the Works For Me Wednesday Site – go and have a look there for all sorts of tips on absolutely anything.