It is the time of year for little bites of chocolate… come to think of it, isn’t it always that time of year!!! So chocolate bites it is, and you know we don’t make truffles… This is as close as we get and you will love them!!! This is what you are aiming for… and Hood #6 was my most able helper:
- 3/4 cup of melted butter
- 1/2 cup of cocoa
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- a capful of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 100g slab of good chocolate – smashed!!!
- a bowl of castor sugar for rolling your bites…
Let’s Play the Game:
- When you have a mini chef working alongside of you then you need to give them important jobs like smashing the chocolate (you probably could use chocolate drops here, but we always use slabs).
- While the smasher is smashing away melt your butter and let it cool slightly. Then add the cocoa, sugar, eggs and vanilla to the melted butter.
- Beat it together until you have a smooth sauce. We used a blender, but whatever works for you.
- Now pop your dry ingredients: the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Add your chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients and mix it up.
- Toss in your chocolate chips and mix some more. Once it is all mixed together then leave your mixture in the fridge for a couple of hours, even overnight. Just kidding!!! No one will forget it that long… but it is fine if you do!!!
- Take your stiff dough and roll it into bite size balls, then roll each ball in some castor sugar. Finally place them on a baking tray.
And the se7en + 1th step…
- Bake them at 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) for about 8 minutes. They crackle, they ooze… they are yummy!!! We eat them while they are warm… to get the full melty benefit of those chocolate bits…
And it makes heaps… because this is the second helping, everyone had already tried one or two as soon as they could munch them off the baking tray. These little bites are so easy to make I can see them being made by the tray load… Very little effort for a great reward!!!
Go on… try them!!! They are so worth!!!