Last week there were a few passing clouds in the sky and all my kids headed indoors as if winter had set in, we needed something to do and fast! And so was born The Book Nook:
We set up our tent, that normally goes outside in the corner of our kids room – tucked in next to the bookshelves, lined it with blankets and cushions… and then it very quickly became lined with children and books!
But we needed some control over where books were coming off the shelves and where they were going back… (or rather weren’t).
We gathered our paints and card and drawing essentials and made some big book cards. Painting things that reminded us of our favorite books.
And we painted and drew and splished and sploshed…
And we came up with big book cards:
And a couple of small book cards too:
And this is how a book card works:
- If you want a book off the shelf then slide a book card into it’s spot.
- When you are done with the book, you may redeem your card by returning the book.
- If you don’t return the book then you don’t get your card back.
- If you don’t have a card then you cannot take a book – thus reducing us to fourteen books off the shelves at any time.
- This has been especially handy for comics, we have boxes of comics and I like them in order (I know I have se7en kids and there is no order… but I try!), so if they only take out one comic at a time – they get to read and I get peace of mind.
- At the end of the day all cards go back in the card pile (so all books get packed away)… and everyone may use one book card at bedtime – they have to use it wisely!
Now I think we need some book cards for the adult people in this house. Seriously, why haven’t I thought of this before?