1 October: Homemade Cookies Day.
- Se7en Cookies from Basic Cookie Dough.
- A Mothers Almanac – se7en of the Best Cookie Recipes…
- Home made cookie Day from the Almanac of Merriment.
- More about Homemade cookie day from associated content.
1 October 1908: Henry Ford Introduced the Model T.
- History of Henry Ford and the Model T from ModelT.ca
- Henry Ford and the Model T from hfmgv.org Click on the quick Facts.
- How Stuff Works has an article on the Model T.
- Se7en All-Terrain Vehicles in a Matchbox.
1 October 1924: Jimmy’s Carter Birthday (1924-).
- A biography from USA4kids.
- Great site for kids with facts, games and printables.
- Time for Kids World News.
- When We Were Kids a quick biography.
2 October 1950: Peanuts First Published.
- The Official Website.
- The Charles M. Schultz Museum.
- Daily Peanuts comic… from comics.com
- A Peanuts Collection on Pinterest!!!
- Scultz and Peanuts Museum.
- Everything you need to know about Peanuts from Wikipedia.
2 October 1869: Mahatma Gandhi’s Birthday (1869 – 1948)
- Biography for kids from Pitara.com
- Biography from About.com
- Biography and interesting facts from IMBD.
3 October 1906: SOS Established.
- All about the history of S.O.S from boatsafe.com.
- Morse Code Messaging with Torches from Education.com
- Cryptology for kids – Great site, great links – from cerias.purdue.edu
- Morse Code and fun links from Battleship N.C.
3 October 1189: Richard I (The Lionheart) crowned King of England in Westminster Abbey.
- Fast Facts from Middle-Ages.org
- A great Timeline from Middle-Ages.org
- Printables from Activity Village.
3 October 1916: James Herriot’s Birthday (1916 – 1995)
4 October: Child Health Day
- Meal Mapping with Se7en.
- Review of DK’s Healthy Fun CookBook for Children.
- Child Health Day in the United States.
- Mom’s need to be healthy too, check out this great post from Simple Organic.
7 October: National Poetry Day.
- Have a look at Poetry Reading Day in this post.
- Se7en do Poetry, Packed with Poetry Resources for Kids.
- Se7en Make Poetry Notebooks.
- National Poetry Day – Official Site.
- National Poetry Day from the Poetry Society.
- Go and Knit yourself a poem – so fun!!!
7 October 1885: Niels Bohrs Birthday (1885 – 1962)
- A biography from Csupomona.Edu
- A biography from Crystal links.
- All about the Bohr Model.
- A worksheet on Matter from mrsienceut.net
- Fabulous kids guide to Yom Kippur from Chabad.org.
- You have to love Torah Tots and all their crafts and activities.
- All about Yom Kippur from kiddy house.
- More about Yom Kippur from BJE.
8 October 1871: Great Fire of Chicago.
- The Great Fire and Mrs O’Leary’s Cow, from How stuff works.
- Links and fun from theweatherchannelkids.com
- Have a look at the assignments for Day 5 and 6, from mce.k12th.net
- Language Arts Idea for the Great Fire of Chicago, from education-world.
9 October: First Two Way Telephone Conversation.
- Check out the Waymark from Waymarking.com
- A slice of History describing two way telephones, from css.psu.edu
- Why have we never made tin can telephones? From Kidscraftzone.
- Why have we never made match box telephones? Gotta try this!!! From HowStuffWorks.
9 October: Leif Erikson Day.
- Great History/viking spot from kidspast.
- A load of viking links from Kidsconnect.
- Fantastic Viking stuff from BBC schools.
- Lief Ericson links from Social Studies for Kids.
9 October: Moldy Cheese Day
- We may have to make some mould on account of this!!!
- Moldy cheese day – Would you believe!
- From Zanyholidays.com
9 October: World Post Day
- Se7en Revive the Art of Letter Writing.
- World Post Day from TimeandDate.com
- It’s Official from the Universal Postal Union!!!
11 October: Columbus Day
- One Pretty Things Round-Up!!!
- Columbus Day from Crayola, love the Explorer movie craft.
- Columbus Day Crafts, Recipes, everything… from Kaboose.
- Columbus Activities from DLTK.
- Columbus Fun from the BBC.
- Columbus and Navigation History – I wish I had found this years ago!
- Columbus fun from Enchanted Learning
- A whole lot of links from Social Studies for Kids.
- In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue. All the words at TeachingHeart.
- Kaboose has crafts, activites and food fun!!!
- Heaps of Columbus Day goodies from History.com
- Columbus Day from Wilstar.
11 October 1884: Eleanor Roosevelt (1884 – 1962)
- A biography from About.com
- Eleanor Roosevelt links from KidsConnect.
- A brief biography from Pitara.com
11 October 1880: Boer War Began.
- The facts in brief from Encyclopedia.kids.net.au
- An outline of the Boer War.
- Children of the Boer War.
12 October: National Fossil Day.
- FossilsforKids.com heaps to do there…
- Digging for Fossils on Kids can Travel.
- Great site to scroll around and see fossils.
- National Fossil Day Home Page.
- West Coast Fossil Park, near Cape Town.
- My Jewish Learning has a great page with links.
- I love love love Torah Tots.
- Lots of activities at Babaganewz.
- More Sukkot fun from Chabad.
14 October 1066: Battle of Hastings.
- Great site especially their Bayeux Tapestry from Woodlands-Junior.
- Great article from the BBC.
- Everything Middle Ages from Spartacus.schoolnet, links and links – I can’t guarantee they are all “kid-safe” surf with your kids.
15 October: National Grouch Day.
16 October: World Food Day.
- Monday Munchies from Se7en.
- Our Celebrity Chef’s Recipes.
- World Food Day – United Against Hunger.
- World Food Day U.S.A.
16 October: World Dictionary Day.
- Everything you need to know on this brilliant squid page, just keep scrolling down kkkkkk.
- Mirriam Webster’s Word Central for kids.
- Se7en of the Best Word Games.
12 October 1814: Star Spangled Banner First Sung.
- Music, Lyrics and history from kids.niehs.niv
- Lesson Plan from Edsitement.gov
- American Symbols from A to Z kids stuff.
19 October 1879: Thomas Edison Demonstrated the Electric Light Bulb.
- A couple of links from Kidskonnect.
- An easy bio for kids from kidcyber.
- I like all the links here from sciencenetlinks.
- This is a fabulous site: Edison Invents… from the Smithsonian. Trust me – go there… “How to make a lightbulb” and other cool stuff.
- Edison has his own page!
- The inventions of Thomas Edison from About.com
- Heap of Edison Links on 6 October Calendar page.
21 October1: Apple Day.
- The Celebrity Chef Makes Apple Pie in Se7en Steps.
- Se7en Million Muffins – There are apple muffins in there.
- Se7en Make Toffee Apples.
- The Celebrity Chef Makes Apple Crumble in Se7en Steps…
21 October 1959: Guggenheim Museum Opened.
23 October 1940: Pele’s Birthday (1940 – ).
- Brief bio from pitara.
- More bio from lifestyely.iloveindia.com
- Learn how to do kick-ups from activity village – love it!!!
- Heaps of soccer fun from Family Fun!
- Soccer Trivia from Kaboose.
- All sorts of soccer goodies from Kaboose.
23 October: Mother in Laws Day.
24 October 2009: United Nations Day.
- Crayola Activities.
- Cyberschollbus brings us United Nations Offical goodies for kids.
- Quizzes and games from the Cyberschoolbus.
- Unicef for kids.
25 October 1881: Pablo Picasso’s Birthday (1881 – 1973).
- Great Picasso Page from My Kids Art.
- A list of Picasso links from Garfield School.
- Lesson Plan Ideas from Princetonol.com
- Picasso trivia – really click through, from Neatorama.
- Portrait of Picasso from FunTrivia.
- GO and play Mr. Picasso Head from mrpicassohead.com
26 October 1836: International Red Cross Organized in Switzerland.
26 October: Diwali.
- Activity Village has everything you need to know.
- Woodlands-Junior is always great for information.
- National Geographic for kids has the story.
27 October: International School Library Day
- Se7en Start a Book Nook.
- Saturday Spot: The Book Nook part Revisited, this is our school Library.
- Se7en of the best Book Sites for Kids.
- Saturday Spot: The Book Zone.
27 October 1848: Theodore Roosevelt’s Birthday (1858 – 1919)
- Theodore Roosevelt from Time for Kids.
- Links, Games and printables from Apples for the Teacher.
- Biography and links from Garden of Praise.
28 October 1886: Statue of Liberty Dedicated.
- Statue of Liberty Flash Tour
- Everything you need to know from About.com
- History of the Statue from the WorldAlmanacforKids.
- Make your own statue from PaperToys.com
- Printables from thestatueofliberty.com
- Statue of Liberty HomePage from thestatueofliberty.com
- Statue of Liberty from National Geographic for kids – Fun Facts.
30 October 1735: John Adam’s Birthday (1735 – 1826).
- Biography and links from ClassBrain.
- Quick Facts from LibertyKids.
- Goodies from Enchanted Learning.
- Biography and Links from Garden of Praise
31 October 1941: Mt. Rushmore completed.
- Mt. Rushmore from PBS.
- Mt. Rushmore from BensGuide.
- Mount Rushmore National Partk.
- Printable from enchanted Learning.
- A Day at Mount Rushmore from Scholastic, Kidspress.
- Lesson Plan from Proteacher.
31 October: Halloween.
- Hood #1’s Felt Bat Tutorial.
- A Marvelous, Magical, Brilliant, Bubbling Brew in Se7en Steps…
- I am loving craft Jr. – especially their clever healthy halloween treats.
- One Pretty Thing has heaps of Halloween Goodies.
- The Crafty Crow and heaps of Halloween.
- Then there is Kaboose!
- Family Fun’s Halloween.