Baked Custards With Brown Sugar… hmmm in Se7en Steps…

March 24th, 2009 · 12 Comments

I mentioned on our Week That Was that things are not as warm as they were a couple of weeks ago. And some evenings are crying out for a bit of comfort food and a yummy dessert. And frankly, I have said this before and I will say it again, anything with cream is a good thing. So this is what you are aiming for:

This recipe is very forgiving: you can double it you can halve it. I made it as simply as possible, but you can add cinnamon, honey, vanilla or even chocolate. Really this is just the background recipe and you can embellish it however you like! I use brown sugar because it gives it a nice caramel-like flavor. Really try it, it’s good!

So let’s meet the players: And there are only four!

• 1 cup of brown sugar (I use the sticky kind) and a bit extra for sprinkling.
  • 4 eggs
  • 400 ml milk
  • 200 ml cream

And Let’s Play The Game:

Step 1: Pop your eggs in a bowl, measure your sugar and pop that in the bowl too.

Step 2: Whisk, whisk, whisk away!

Step 3: Measure out your milk (400 ml) and cream (200 ml).

Step 4: Pop the creamy milk onto the stove and heat until it is simmering away. Don’t let it boil over, you will never forgive me for the smell of your kitchen after that! – Watch it!

Step 5: Pour the warm creamy milk into your whisked egg and sugar mixture.

Step 6: Put all the ramekins you own into a baking tray and when you run out of ramekins then just use tea cups! Pour your mixture into waiting ramekins. Once your puddings are good to go add water to the baking tray so that it is half way up the sides of the desserts.

Step 7: Bake in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) for about 40 minutes.

Sprinkle some brown sugar on top of the desserts and it is yummy and crispy and you are good to munch!

Bon Appetito!

Tags: Desserts · Monday Munchies

• 1 Bug // Mar 25, 2009 at 5:32 am

is this pretty much like flan? it looks yummy

• 2 se7en // Mar 25, 2009 at 7:15 am

Indeed! I went on a quick search to find out what a flan is… these are indeed flan’s. I love that they are so quick to prepare and cook away while I do the rest of supper.

• 3 Aunty K // Mar 26, 2009 at 1:10 am

I can just imagine how divine they smell and taste 🙂
    Just wanted to mention that if your milk is in a pyrex jug (as per photo) you can heat it nicely in the microwave. I have always struggled with putting it on the stove and getting a brown bit at the bottom of the pan. As for flan, here in the States a flan is much more like a cake with fruit and whipped cream in the middle…I even got a flan pan for a wedding gift. Just shows there are so many variations on recipes. Cheerio and lots of love.

• 4 se7en // Mar 26, 2009 at 7:49 am

Hay Aunty K, Brilliant idea to use the microwave!!! We even have one but I use it to store bread and never think of using it to actually cook. How mad is that… and as for flans I have never heard of them before yesterday… really we are living in a culinary backwater!
    Lots of love to you all – Thanks for stopping by!

• 5 mayaluna // Mar 26, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I grew up eating these… with the brown sugar caramel top! I have to go make these today with all of my eggs!

• 6 se7en // Mar 26, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Hay Maya*Made you are on my blog!!! I am about the happiest blogger in the world! I don’t know how you can stand to use your very beautiful eggs and I am so glad spring is finally springing for you!

• 7 BrendaLea // Mar 26, 2009 at 8:34 pm

This looks and sounds yummy. I printed out the directions and will be making some this weekend.
    Thanks for sharing.

• 8 se7en // Mar 26, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Hay B, I hope you enjoy them… they really are good comfort food! Have a great weekend!

• 9 mayaluna // Mar 29, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Oh se7en, you know I’m here all the time! So happy I can finally say "hi". Haven’t made them yet, came back to see if you used the same recipe I grew up with… off to compare notes and break into the beauties!

• 10 se7en // Mar 29, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Hi Maya*Made, It is so good to know you are on our blog! I really hope you enjoyed your desserts… I just had one of mine request it for her upcoming birthday dinner! Not to mention, you have a good week!!!

• 11 Se7en's Fabulous Friday Fun #215 And a Lesley Pearce GiveAway... - se7en // Mar 23, 2014 at 2:08 am

[…] 2009: Baked Custard with Brown Sugar… hmmm in Se7en Steps. […]

• 12 Se7en's Fabulous Friday Fun #267 - se7en | se7en // Mar 22, 2015 at 4:30 am

[…] 2009: Baked Custard, ’tis the season. […]