There are so many events coming up this week. So many birthdays and so many celebrations and so many historic events I thought I would post a couple and give you a head start for the week…
I posted this list of calendars in The Week That Was – 41 post, here it is again…
I have found it’s a great resource for keeping school fun and current to toss in a few events each week. We don’t do anything major, I just pop them on the calendar and my kids like to see what’s important about the day. The kind of things we do are usually quick and simple in our morning journal writing: write a quick story as if we were there, do a picture inspired by the event, plot a map of the event or even act out the event. Here we go with this week’s important days and a couple of relevant links to explore:
13 April 1743 – Thomas Jefferson’s Birthday:
- Social Studies for Kids has a great resource page on Thomas Jefferson.
- My kids love Liberty’s Kids… and they have some great Thomas Jefferson pages.
- Garden of Praise has a great list of printables.
14 April 1912 – The Titanic Went Down:
- National Geographic has a good Titanic spot.
- Kids-n-Fun have a heap of Titanic coloring pages.
- Kids Connect have a good Titanic page with a list of facts and quite a few relevant links.
15 April 1452 – Leonardo Da Vinci’s Birthday:
- Diary of One has an absolutely fabulous Leonardo post full of activities.
- The Museum of Science has a great Leonardo interactive site to explore.
16 April 1862 – Abolition of Slavery:
- The Library of Congress has a resource page.
- The BBC also has a great page on the Abolition of Slavery.
18 April 1775 – Paul Revere’s Ride :
- This is a quick slide show (movie) from Early America.com of Paul Revere’s Ride, who was involved and what was happening.
- Paul Revere’s House is a great Resource for all things Paul Revere.
That’s it for this week. Hope you have a good one!