I am so excited I could just about die – Welcome to our first ever giveaway!!!
Now William Wilberforce was born in 1759 and died in 1833. He made the Abolition of Slavery his life work and just three days before he died the law for the Abolition of Slavery was passed. He could rest peace.
Hood #2 recently learnt all about William Wilberforce for school, so here are se7en resources we used (before you let your kids loose on some of them you may want to check them out yourself, since some kids will be more sensitive to the harsh realities of slavery than others):
- William Wilberforce: The Little Man Who Stopped a Big Evil: These are free pamphlets for kids and they have a list of heaps of Great Christian Men and Women, my kids love reading them and whenever we learn about a great missionary or famous christians for schools then I pop over there and look for the relevant pamphlet.
- William Wilberforce: The Little Man Who Stopped a Big Evil Part 2: This is part two from the previous site.
- Downloadable Worksheets: This site offers not only facts about William Wilberforce and his work, but quizzes, fact sheets and a couple of useful printables.
- Understanding Slavery Fact Sheet
- Hull Museum Education Worksheets: William Wordsworth grew up in Hull and the Museum of Hull has great resources on the man and slavery in general.
- The Movie Amazing Grace: When this movie came out a couple of my friends couldn’t believe it made it onto the main stream because it was so good (!) and so unusual for the story of a God-fearing man to “make it.” The official website had great learning resources, like this pdf movie guide and this on slavery resource for then and now is great.
- Finally, for kids this series of books is great and the one on William Wilberforce won’t disappoint:
And here is the Giveaway – with special thanks to our local Christian Book Store: Christian Book Discounters, who gave us these books to give to you – How cool is that!!!! They are a great store for sourcing christian books if you can’t find a book they will find it for you, which is quite handy at the bottom end of the world! Also their kids selection gets better and better and I can’t complain about that! All the books in this giveaway were published by Day One, so you know they are great quality books.
- This is a biographical travel book. Brilliant if you want to know all sorts of details about Wilberforce’s life! Not to mention it is fabulous for the armchair traveler… With this book you just step into William Wilberforce’s shoes and walk the route of his life.
- This book isn’t written for kids specifically but my boys loved it… It shows the link between John Newton, who started out as a slave trader and ended up being a hymn writer, and how he worked with William Wilberforce to abolish the slave trade. I think what appealed was the format, it looks like it is written on old parchment it is filled with photographs and spins a great story.
- Last but definitely not least: this one is the the spirit of my Sunday Snippet from a couple of weeks ago helping your kids to read worthy books that weren’t fluffy, often missionary books are all about being perfect and they can be somewhat wishy-washy… Here’s a real book describing the exciting lives of: William Tyndale, John Newton, David Brainerd and Eric Liddell.
All you have to do is comment on this post before the end of Friday, 24 April 2009 and we will randomly choose one of you and post the winner in our Sunday Snippet next week… We will send your pack of three great books to you wherever you are in the world… Have Fun and Good Luck!
And thanks again to Christian Book Discounters for their support!