I cannot believe it is November… already so soon… and your fresh November Calendar post is on the way to you. Meanwhile… just saying, there is a taste of summer in the air…
So here is the most fabulous news… really… We have a feature in Family Fun Magazine… I am not kidding, grab the November Issue… and take a peak at The Cookie Swap Article. This is really a dream beyond dreaming – I cannot even believe it is true and so very excited about it!!!
And you know how we love and adore cookies around here!!!
Book of the Week
I don’t know how it is that we can have so many avid readers in our house and we have never discovered the works of Mchelle Paver before. Quite honestly, “Where have we been?” We have seen her books in the library… and of course noticed her Chronicles of Ancient Darkness Series… but nobody has grabbed a book about really ancient times. Well this book, from the “God’s and Warriors Series, has changed all that and we now have a new author to read our way through. I knew my middle boys would love it, hello there are maps… and so I started reading it to them… to pique their interest. The Eye of the Falcon is set in Ancient Greece, during the Bronnze age…. in a cold and gripping winter. The island of Thalakrea has erupted and the sun is blocked by a cloud of Ash… The book begins with a young boy, Hylas, arriving on the island and his desperate search for his friend Pira and and Havoc, the lion cub. This is a gripping and very engaging read from the start… my younger children would be a bit frightened by the strange, stark world you are reading about… but the middle-school readers that it is pitched at were intrigued. There is lots to read and learn between these pages, the historical details are just incredible. Young animal lovers, history lovers, mythology lovers… would all love to read this book. And we are thrilled to have been introduced to a “new to us” author.
We were given this book by Penguin Books South Africa for Review Purposes, we were not paid to write this review and the opinions expressed are, as usual, entirely our own.
Here are some lovely links from this week:
- Hay it is November… and our kids are so excited about NANOWRIMO starting up again… it is their tradition and they are ready to dive in and start writing a whole new book.
- For myself… I couldn’t be happier that the VOLVO Ocean Race is in Cape Town for a week or two… We will have to go down to the Waterfront and take a look around.
- Loved this post on MADE: I hate making Cake Pops…
- Way back when we had a weekend in Venice, I loved it then and oh my this is a lovely little walk down memory lane on Babyccino Kids: Trip to Venice…
- I absolutely loved PickleBums fantastic DIY Geoboard… just the coolest thing on earth!!!
- And how is this gem on MayBushStudio – A She Shed… I think I need to create a little space of my own. I will never have a “she-shed” but just the idea of my own personal space. Right now my desk is a dumping zone for every single unfinished project in the house… I think that is about to change thanks to this post.
- This post on Mt Hope Chronicles: “Honestly” Every mom I know has been here… homeschool mom’s so much more so. We need to be a little kinder to ourselves I think…
- A Blast From the Past: And here are a couple of links to posts, this week, from previous years:
And the se7en + 1th link:
I am so looking forward to blogging this week… you can look forward to a week of books… I have one or two pending questions that readers have asked lately and I plan to answer them. Questions about Family Read Alouds and What is the Next Step After Easy Readers. If you have a book question then now is the time to ask it and I will try and address it in the posts this week. Otherwise we have a heap of Picture Books to introduce you too… and play along with… I think it is going to be fabulous!!!