In the past readers have asked us how we use our calendar posts for school. These posts began, and have grown, simply because it was interesting to see what events were occurring on a particular day. We don’t celebrate everyday – but we could!!! At the beginning of each month we print out a new calendar (click on the image and print it landscape, works better that way). Then we read through the blog post and pick the days that we would like to celebrate. We write those days out onto our calendar and pop the calendar onto the fridge. On the particular date we visit the website and have a look at the links or create some fun to post on our blog, like our Shakespeare post on his birthday.
Dozens of Days to Celebrate in the Month of May
1 May: Save the Rhino Day.
- Se7en+1 Fun Rhino Activities from Se7en.
- Se7en+1 Crafty Rhinos…
- Save the Rhino Day from holiday insights…
- Fun stuff for kids in the rhino info section at Save the Rhino.
- Rhino crafts for kids from Artists Helping Children.Org.
2 May 1844: Elijah McCoy Inventor (1844 – 1929).
4 May 1971: GreenPeace launched.
- Se7en+1 Visit GreenPeace and The Rainbow Warrior.
- There is a huge LEGO debate going on over here…
- GreenPeace International.
- GreenPeace Campaigns.
4 May National Weather Observer’s Day.
- Se7en Make a Weather Station.
- Making a Daily Weather Chart in Se7en Steps.
- Weather Whizzkids – great stuff!!!
- Weather Lesson Links from The Teachers Guide.
4 May: International Firefighter’s Day.
- Se7en + 1 Interview a FireFighter…
- Firefighter Facts on Kidzsearch…
- Firefighter Fun and Activities on Childfun
- And a whole lot more firefighter fun on KidsSoup…
4 May: World Asthma Day.
5 May: Cinco De Mayo
5 May: Children’s Day (Japan).
7 May 1937: Hindenburg Disaster
7 May 1840: Tchaikovsky’s Birthday (1840 – 1893).
- Se7en+1 Music Appreciation Resources for Kids… Books, Online and Craftiness…
- Making Music fun is such a great site.
- Classics for kids is fun.
7 May 2014: Space Day.
8 May 1945: VE Day.
- Children of World War II on the History Learning Site.
- BBC Schools are always a packed with great kid friendly resources…
10 May: Clean Up Your Room Day
- Teaching Kids to Declutter in Se7en Steps.
- Se7en + 1 Steps to Decluttering – Never Again.
- How to Declutter Your Home in Se7en + 1 Steps…
- Se7en + 1 Are Resorting their Weekends with Operation S.O.R.T.
- Se7en Celebrate Salvador Dali
- ArtSmart4kids has a great biography.
- Virtually visit the Salvador Dali Museum.
11 May: Edward Lear’s Birthday (1812 – 1888).
- Se7en Do Poetry and Heaps of Resources for Kids.
- Se7en Make Poetry Notebooks.
- And a Jumbly Week That Was…
- Edward Lear from Surfnetkids.com
- Edward Lear homepage.
12 May: Kite Day.
- We made kites for a Dr. Seuss Party and we got the plans from the Children’s Discovery Museum of San Jose.
- The virtual Kite Zoo.
- How Does a Kite Fly.
- A nice resource for little people with kites from round the world.
12 May 1820: Florence Nightingale’s birthday (1820 – 1910).
14 May 1847 : Webster’s Dictionary First Published.
- Merriam-Webster’s WordCentral for kids is very cool!!!
- Here’s the Grown up version.
- And who can resist top-online dictionaries for kids from About.com
14 May 1804: Lewis and Clarke Began their expedition (1804).
14 May 1727: Thomas Gainsborough (artist) born, 1727
- Garden of Praise has some great links: puzzles, word searches and worksheets.
- Enchanted Learning Coloring Pages: Gainsborough’s “Blue Boy.”
- The Web Museum in Paris has a biography and a collection of his paintings to look at.
- A Wikipedia Biography and gallery of paintings.
15 May 1856: L.F. Baum’s Birthday (1856 – 1919).
16 May: National Chocolate Chip Day.
18 May: International Museum Day.
- Se7en + 1 Turn a Collection into a Museum…
- Se7en + 1 Are Virtually Visiting Museums…
- Museum Night at the V and A Waterfront… Totally worth heading out for… free museums and lots of them!!!
- Visitor Information for Cape towns Collection of Museums.
- This is a great spot packed with online museum goodies from museums all over the U.K. – My kids love this site and roam here for hours.
18 May 1980: Mt. St. Helens Erupted.
19 May: Circus Day.
- Se7en’s Circus in a Suitcase… Celebrating Alexander Calder.
- Se7en’s Quick and Easy Circus Party.
- Se7en Visit the Fantastic Grifizzi Brothers’ Circus…
- Se7en’s Quick and Easy Circus Party.
- Circus Crafts from Show Mom The Money.
- Classroom resources from Teaching Heart.
20 May 1927: Amelia Earheart’s TransAtlantic Flight.
21 May 1844: Henri Rousseau’s Birthday (1844 – 1910).
21 May 1927: Lindbergh Flight Day.
21 May 1799: Mary Anning’s Birthday (1799 – 1847).
- BBC famous People for Kids… photos, games, fun facts…
- Great interactive page for learning… The School Run.
22 May: International Jazz Day
22 May 1570: First Atlas Published.
- Se7en do Geography – Heaps of Resources.
- Fact Monster Atlas for kids.
- Se7en’s World wide Map in se7en Steps.
- The Whole Wide World in Se7en Steps.
22 May 1844: Mary Cassatt’s Birthday (1844 – 1926).
23 May: World Turtle Day.
- It’s Turtle Season over here…
- Farewell to Yoshi the Loggerhead Turtle at the Two Oceans Aquarium…
- The Two Oceans Aquarium on what to do if you find a turtle and the story of Bob’s rehabilitation.
24 May: The Brooklyn Bridge Opened in 1883.
- 42 Explore has a mass of bridge links – everything you can imagine about bridges.
- A great history of the Brooklyn Bridge, with great diagrams, from catskillarchive.com
- The Brooklyn Bridge Guide from About.com.
24 May 1844: First Morse Code Message Sent.
- Morse Code from Enchanted learning
- Cryptology for kids – This is fun!
- More codes and ciphering to enjoy.
- And everyone needs a morse code translator!
25 May: Missing Children’s Day.
- The last book in this post is all called “Protecting the Gift.” Every woman in the world should read this book – really! Go and read our review…
- The Day We Lost A Child for a Couple of Hours… yes, it can happen to anyone.
26 May: Blueberry Cheesecake Day.
26 May 1951: Sally Ride’s Birthday (1951 – 2012).
27 May 1907: Rachel Carson’s Birthday (1907 – 1964).
27 May: Masking Tape patented.
28 May 1959: MonkeyNauts Able and Baker in Space.
- Big Ben Facts and Figures from LondonNet..
- The Interesting Story of Big Ben from WhiteChapelFoundry.
29 May 1953: Hillary and Tenzing conquer Everest.
29 May 1917: John F. Kennedy’s Birthday.