Chili Poppers in Se7en Steps…

July 30th, 2009 · 11 Comments

A couple of weeks ago I wrote a post: Se7en Recipes and Tips For Bulk (Frugal) Vegetable Shopping… and ended with a desperate plea for help with our chili abundance!!! Well I got a lot of good ideas: chili oil, chili salt, chili’s for Africa… But we discovered Chili Poppers and they taste irresistibly good, I haven’t yet mastered aesthetically pleasing. But this is what you are aiming for.

DSC03847

Let’s Meet The Players: As usual the ingredients are not exact, the amount of cheeses required depends on the size of your chilis.

DSC03819

• A couple of large chilis
  • Smooth cream cheese
  • Strong cheddar cheese
  • Paprika
  • Finely chopped garlic
  • Fine dry bread crumbs
  • 1 egg

Let’s Play The Game:

Step 1: Firstly you need to deal with each chili. De-core them and remove all the pips. It’s the pips that burn! Slice the stalk end off the chili. Put a sharp knife down the side of the chili and cut around the inside. The core will fall out and then gently tap the chili so that all the remaining seeds fall out.

DSC03820DSC03823DSC03824DSC03825DSC03827

Step 2: Finely grate the cheddar cheese in a bowl. Add the cream cheese, the crushed garlic and the paprika.

DSC03828DSC03829DSC03830DSC03831

Step 3: Stuff each chili with the cheese mixture. This takes a bit of time!

DSC03832DSC03833

Step 4: Beat your egg in a flat bowl. And dip your chili in the egg.

DSC03835

Step 5: Then roll your chili in the breadcrumbs.

DSC03837DSC03838

Step 6: Repeat the egg and the bread crumb dunking again. And place each of the chilis onto the baking sheet.

DSC03834DSC03839DSC03840DSC03841

Step 7: Pop the poppers into a medium to hot oven and bake them until they are crispy and starting to brown. All that yummy cheese melts – hmmmm.

DSC03846

I was so surprised – they are totally more-ish. Not the usual burning chili anguish! But rather a cheesy pepper flavor with a bit of bite. I am not a chili person naturally but quite frankly I am quite glad that not everyone wanted to try these!!!

DSC03849

That’s it! Try these, they are very good!

Tags: Monday Munchies · Vegetables

• 1 Dana // Jul 30, 2009 at 5:26 am

yummmmmmy!

• 2 irene // Jul 30, 2009 at 10:59 am

When you are cleaning the chillies – up until about 5 hand washes later, whatever you do DO NOT touch your eyes or ears. :) Yes, I speak from experience.

• 3 se7en // Jul 30, 2009 at 11:06 am

Yup, these are really good! I have seen them wrapped in bacon as well but I think if I do that my family might devour them before I get to them! You have a good week!

• 4 se7en // Jul 30, 2009 at 11:18 am

Hi I, I should have put a health and safety warning on this one, and definitely wash your hands after de-pipping your chilies – thoroughly! I managed not to even touch the pips by using the knife – so I had no problem touching my ears afterwards!!!! Hope your week finishes up well!!!

• 5 Stephanie // Jul 30, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Oh my goodness. My mouth is watering.
    Looks delicious. Even for breakfast.

• 6 Stephanie // Jul 30, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Hey!! It went through!!

• 7 se7en // Jul 30, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Hello. Hello. Hello. Oh I am so glad you kept trying!!! The father person did a whole lot of updates last weekend and suddenly a bunch of folk who were getting “fatal errors” whenever they tried to comment have suddenly made it through! I am just pleased as can be!!!

• 8 se7en // Jul 30, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Hay S, Yup these are so good! I think it is the melty shmelty cheddar cheese that make these very more-ish. Luckily there are a couple of little hoods that won’t eat anything with the word chili in them – So I got the extras!!! Hope you guys have a great weekend!!!

• 9 A Red Hot Chilli Party in Se7en Steps… | se7en // Jan 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm

[…] Chilli Poppers: […]

• 10 Se7en’s Complete Recipe Collection… » se7en // Aug 20, 2011 at 9:47 am

[…] Chili Poppers in Se7en Steps. […]

• 11 Se7en + 1 Review Justin Bonello's Ultimate Braai Book - and a Double GiveAway!!! - se7en // Nov 22, 2012 at 8:26 pm

[…] rings for years and I finally know how… the secret is not so much the slicing of the rings… And Chilli Poppers is already a family favourite, but this is a much simpler version… and just as […]