Summer wouldn’t be summer without Tie-dyes, and since we are sweltering away we have had a week of tie-dying… Also, it is that time of year when we are crafting and arting and creating gifts and goodies… not to mention gift wrapping, packaging and gift tags. Now I love a theme and the further we got into our project I realized there was a whole lot more to tie-dying than just dunking a t-shirt…
- T-shirts: I know everyone must own a tie-dye t-shirt, surely!!! And here is how it’s done.
- Other apparel: Socks, shoe laces, bandanas, lanyards… Basically if you can wrap an elastic around an item and dip it in dye you can tie dye it!!!
- Gift Wrap: This is brilliant fun and so easy: Use absorbent paper like newsprint. fold it up – any old way will do, and wrap elastics around the paper really tight. Dip your paper into food coloring and leave the paper in the color long enough to absorb the color. Toss your colorful bundles in the sun to dry and when they are dry enough unfold them for some magic!!!
- More Gift Wrap: String painting and Marble painting (even tiny people can have great results with limited mess for this!)also look nice and bright and mixed like tie-dyes.
- Gift Tags: We needed smaller bits of paper to make gift tags so we made some mini-marble papers… Spray some shaving foam into a food tray, drip dots of food coloring onto it, twirl the colors around with a skewer. When you are ready drop your blank card onto the mixture, carefully lift the paper out and leave it to dry.
- Gift Packages: Whip up some mini-pinatas using brightly colored tissue paper… You could even use your tie-dye paper.
- Tie-Dye Cake: When all else fails and you can no longer face another elastic band then it is time for tie-dye cake. Make a batch of the quickest easiest cake in the world, divide the batter into as many bowls as you have colors. Add a dash of food coloring to each bowl and put blobs of each color into the baking pans. Finally stir through your mixture with a skewer, whirl it and twirl it and bake your cake in the usual way.
That’s it… Ready yourself for some colorful hands!!!
I popped this post onto the Works For Me Wednesday Site – go and have a look there for all sorts of tips on absolutely anything.