In the previous post I showed you the Celebrity Chef’s Birthday Roast Dinner… But he wasn’t finished, because he still had to whip up dessert… A Sticky Hot Chocolate Sponge…
Now I know that baking is supposed to be an exact science with careful measuring. And careful measuring does happen, but it is a little less exact and this recipe is quite forgiving… I have never seen him make it quite the same way twice!!!
For the Sponge:
- 1 Tablespoon Coffee granules
- 3 Tablespoons Boiling water
- 1 cup of Castor Sugar
- 1 cup of room temperature butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of flour
- 1.5 tsp of baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa
- A capful of vanilla essence
For the Sticky Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons of cocoa
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1.5 cups of boiling water
Finally – icing sugar to sprinkle.
Let’s Play the Game:
- Pop a tablespoon of coffee granules into about 3 tablespoons of boiling water. Leave it to cool.
- Cream the sugar and butter together until they are fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time…
- Add the flour, baking powder, cocoa and coffee mixture into the mixture…
- Whip up your sauce: Mix all the ingredients together.
- Carefully pour the sauce over your dessert.
And mix them into the mixture completely.
And gently fold it in. Fold, fold, fold. Then pop it into a greased oven proof dish…
Pop it in a baking pan with water about halfway up the side of the dessert dish. Bake for about half an hour at 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit. It will smell delicious while it bakes!!! And a skewer will come out clean when it is done.
Sprinkle it with icing sugar. And you are done!!! Yum…
It was so hot that the candles burnt from the bottom up!!! We don’t normally eat dessert but I am prepared to make exceptions when absolutely necessary!!!