So it’s October… and here is our calendar… if there are any interesting days you would like to see on our calendar you are most welcome to pop your day in the calendar and a couple of links and I will add it to the post…
1 October 2010: Homemade Cookies Day.
- Se7en Cookies from Basic Cookie Dough.
- A Mothers Almanac – se7en of the Best Cookie Recipes…
- Home made cookie Day from the Almanac of Merriment.
- More about Homemade cookie day from associated content.
1 October 1908: Henry Ford Introduced the Model T.
- History of Henry Ford and the Model T from ModelT.ca
- Henry Ford and the Model T from hfmgv.org Click on the quick Facts.
- How Stuff Works has an article on the Model T.
- Se7en All-Terrain Vehicles in a Matchbox.
- A biography from USA4kids.
- Great site for kids with facts, games and printables.
- Time for Kids World News.
- When We Were Kids a quick biography.
2 October 1950: Peanuts First Published.
- The Charles M. Schultz Museum.
- Daily Peanuts comic… from comics.com
- Scultz and Peanuts Museum.
- Everything you need to know about PPeanuts from Wikipedia.
- There must be an official site, I still can’t find it!!!
2 October 1869: Mahatma Gandhi’s Birthday (1869 – 1948)
- Biography for kids from Pitara.com
- Biography from About.com
- Biography and interesting facts from IMBD.
- All about the history of S.O.S from boatsafe.com.
- Morse Code Messaging with Torches from Education.com
- Cryptology for kids – Great site, great links – from cerias.purdue.edu
- Morse Code and fun links from Battleship N.C.
- Fast Facts from Middle-Ages.org
- A great Timeline from Middle-Ages.org
- Printables from Activity Village.
4 October 2010: Child Health Day
- Meal Mapping with Se7en.
- Review of DK’s Healthy Fun CookBook for Children.
- Child Health Day in the United States.
- Mom’s need to be healthy too, check out this great post from Simple Organic.
7 October 2010: National Poetry Day.
- Have a look at Poetry Reading Day in this post.
- Se7en do Poetry, Packed with Poetry Resources for Kids.
- Se7en Make Poetry Notebooks.
- National Poetry Day – Official Site.
- National Poetry Day from the Poetry Society.
- Go and Knit yourself a poem – so fun!!!
7 October 1885: Niels Bohrs Birthday (1885 – 1962)
- A biography from Csupomona.Edu
- A biography from Crystal links.
- All about the Bohr Model.
- A worksheet on Matter from mrsienceut.net
8 October 1871: Great Fire of Chicago.
- The Great Fire and Mrs O’Leary’s Cow, from How stuff works.
- Links and fun from theweatherchannelkids.com
- Have a look at the assignments for Day 5 and 6, from mce.k12th.net
- Language Arts Idea for the Great Fire of Chicago, from education-world.
9 October 2010: First Two Way Telephone Conversation.
- Check out the Waymark from Waymarking.com
- A slice of History describing two way telephones, from css.psu.edu
- Why have we never made tin can telephones? From Kidscraftzone.
- Why have we never made match box telephones? Gotta try this!!! From HowStuffWorks.
9 October 2010: Leif Erikson Day.
- Great History/viking spot from kidspast.
- A load of viking links from Kidsconnect.
- Fantastic Viking stuff from BBC schools.
- Lief Ericson links from Social Studies for Kids.
9 October 2010: Moldy Cheese Day
- We may have to make some mould on account of this!!!
- Moldy cheese day – Would you believe!
- From Zanyholidays.com
9 October 2010: World Post Day
- Se7en Revive the Art of Letter Writing.
- World Post Day from TimeandDate.com
- It’s Official from the Universal Postal Union!!!
11 October 2010: Columbus Day
- One Pretty Things Round-Up!!!
- Columbus Day from Crayola, love the Explorer movie craft.
- Columbus Day Crafts, Recipes, everything… from Kaboose.
- Columbus Activities from DLTK.
- Columbus Fun from the BBC.
- Columbus and Navigation History – I wish I had found this years ago!
- Columbus fun from Enchanted Learning
- A whole lot of links from Social Studies for Kids.
- In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue. All the words at TeachingHeart.
- Kaboose has crafts, activites and food fun!!!
- Heaps of Columbus Day goodies from History.com
- Columbus Day from Wilstar.
11 October 1884: Eleanor Roosevelt (1884 – 1962)
- A biography from About.com
- Eleanor Roosevelt links from KidsConnect.
- A brief biography from Pitara.com
11 October 1880: Boer War Began.
- The facts in brief from Encyclopedia.kids.net.au
- An outline of the Boer War.
- Children of the Boer War.
14 October 1066: Battle of Hastings.
- Great site especially their Bayeux Tapestry from Woodlands-Junior.
- Great article from the BBC.
- Everything Middle Ages from Spartacus.schoolnet, links and links – I can’t guarantee they are all “kid-safe” surf with your kids.
15 October 2010: National Grouch Day.
- Oh I am sure we will come up with something for this day!!!
- Stress Balls might help.
16 October 2010: World Food Day.
- Monday Munchies from Se7en.
- Our Celebrity Chef’s Recipes.
- World Food Day – United Against Hunger.
- World Food Day U.S.A.
12 October 1814: Star Spangled Banner First Sung.
- Music, Lyrics and history from kids.niehs.niv
- Lesson Plan from Edsitement.gov
- American Symbols from A to Z kids stuff.
19 October 1879: Thomas Edison Demonstrated the Electric Light Bulb.
- A couple of links from Kidskonnect.
- An easy bio for kids from kidcyber.
- I like all the links here from sciencenetlinks.
- This is a fabulous site: Edison Invents… from the Smithsonian. Trust me – go there… “How to make a lightbulb” and other cool stuff.
- Edison has his own page!
- The inventions of Thomas Edison from About.com
- Heap of Edison Links on 6 October Calendar page.
21 October 2010: Apple Day.
- The Celebrity Chef Makes Apple Pie in Se7en Steps.
- Se7en Million Muffins – There are apple muffins in there.
- Se7en Make Toffee Apples.
- The Celebrity Chef Makes Apple Crumble in Se7en Steps…
21 October 1959: Guggenheim Museum Opened.
23 October 1940: Pele’s Birthday (1940 – ).
- Brief bio from pitara.
- More bio from lifestyely.iloveindia.com
- Learn how to do kick-ups from activity village – love it!!!
- Heaps of soccer fun from Family Fun!
- Soccer Trivia from Kaboose.
- All sorts of soccer goodies from Kaboose.
- Crayola Activities.
- Cyberschollbus brings us United Nations Offical goodies for kids.
- Quizzes and games from the Cyberschoolbus.
- Unicef for kids.
24 October 2010: Mother in Laws Day.
25 October 1881: Pablo Picasso’s Birthday (1881 – 1973).
- Great Picasso Page from My Kids Art.
- A list of Picasso links from Garfield School.
- Lesson Plan Ideas from Princetonol.com
- Picasso trivia – really click through, from Neatorama.
- Portrait of Picasso from FunTrivia.
- GO and play Mr. Picasso Head from mrpicassohead.com
26 October 1836: International Red Cross Organized in Switzerland.
27 October 2010: International School Library Day
- Se7en Start a Book Nook.
- Saturday Spot: The Book Nook part Revisited, this is our school Library.
- Se7en of the best Book Sites for Kids.
- Saturday Spot: The Book Zone.
27 October 1848: Theodore Roosevelt’s Birthday (1858 – 1919)
- Theodore Roosevelt from Time for Kids.
- Links, Games and printables from Apples for the Teacher.
- Biography and links from Garden of Praise.
28 October 1886: Statue of Liberty Dedicated.
- Statue of Liberty Flash Tour
- Everything you need to know from About.com
- History of the Statue from the WorldAlmanacforKids.
- Make your own statue from PaperToys.com
- Printables from thestatueofliberty.com
- Statue of Liberty HomePage from thestatueofliberty.com
- Statue of Liberty from National Geographic for kids – Fun Facts.
30 October 1735: John Adam’s Birthday (1735 – 1826).
- Biography and links from ClassBrain.
- Quick Facts from LibertyKids.
- Goodies from Enchanted Learning.
- Biography and Links from Garden of Praise
31 October 1941: Mt. Rushmore completed.
- Mt. Rushmore from PBS.
- Mt. Rushmore from BensGuide.
- Mount Rushmore National Partk.
- Printable from enchanted Learning.
- A Day at Mount Rushmore from Scholastic, Kidspress.
- Lesson Plan from Proteacher.
31 October 2010: Halloween.
- Hood #1’s Felt Bat Tutorial.
- A Marvelous, Magical, Brilliant, Bubbling Brew in Se7en Steps…
- I am loving craft Jr. – especially their clever healthy halloween treats.
- One Pretty Thing has heaps of Halloween Goodies.
- The Crafty Crow and heaps of Halloween.
- Then there is Kaboose!
- Family Fun’s Halloween.
If you are looking for other calendars of note then here they are:
That’s it!!! Have a Great Month!!!
If you are reading this far and haven’t yet entered our GiveAway of the week then follow the link and leave a comment… Seriously – it’s a goodie!!!