So October has crept up on us…
Click on the calendar page, it will open in a new tab, print it out and then colour it and fill in the days that you want to celebrate… pop it on the fridge and you are good to go.
1 October: Homemade Cookies Day
- Se7en + 1 Celebrate Sugar Cookie Day… Lemon and Double Chocolate Expresso Cookies for the Win…
- Se7en Cookies from Basic Cookie Dough.
- A Mothers Almanac – se7en of the Best Cookie Recipes…
1 October 1908: Henry Ford Introduced the Model T
- Quick facts and printables on Kidsconnect…
- Henry Ford lesson plans from Study.com
- Se7en All-Terrain Vehicles in a Matchbox.
1 October 1924: Jimmy’s Carter Birthday (1924-)
2 October 1950: Peanuts First Published
- The Official Website.
- The Charles M. Schultz Museum.
- Daily Peanuts comic… from comics.com
- Everything you need to know about Peanuts from Wikipedia.
2 October 1869: Mahatma Gandhi’s Birthday (1869 – 1948)
3 October 1906: SOS Established
- All about the history of S.O.S from boatsafe.com.
- Morse Code Messaging with Torches from Education.com
- Cryptology for kids – Great site, great links – from cerias.purdue.edu
3 October 1189: Richard I (The Lionheart) crowned King of England in Westminster Abbey
3 October 1916: James Herriot’s Birthday (1916 – 1995)
4 October: Child Health Day
7 October: National Poetry Daythis day moved to September 28 this year, but it is too good to miss!!!)
- Have a look at Poetry Reading Day in this post.
- We have been listening to the Daily Poem podcast lately… 300 episodes of this podcasts, so plenty of poems to choose from.
- Se7en do Poetry, Packed with Poetry Resources for Kids
- Se7en Make Poetry Notebooks.
- National Poetry Day – Official Site.
- Great Lesson Plans from the Poetry Society.
7 October 1885: Niels Bohrs Birthday (1885 – 1962)
8 October 1871: Great Fire of Chicago
9 October: First Two Way Telephone Conversation
- Check out the Waymark from Waymarking.com
- Why have we never made tin can telephones? From Kidscraftzone.
- Why have we never made match box telephones? Gotta try this!!! From HowStuffWorks.
9 October: Leif Erikson Day
9 October: Mouldy Cheese Day
9 October: World Post Day
11 October 1884: Eleanor Roosevelt (1884 – 1962)
11 October 1880: Boer War Began
12 October: Columbus Day
- Columbus fun from Enchanted Learning
- A whole lot of links from Social Studies for Kids.
- In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue. All the words at TeachingHeart.
12 October: National Fossil Day
14 October 1066: Battle of Hastings
15 October: National Grouch Day
16 October: World Food Day
- The Hungry Season, Feeding South Africa’s Cities – A Review…
- Monday Munchies from Se7en.
- Our Celebrity Chef’s Recipes.
16 October: World Dictionary Day
- Merriam Webster’s Word Central for kids.
- Everything you need to know on this brilliant squid page, just keep scrolling down.
- Se7en of the Best Word Games.
19 October 1879: Thomas Edison Demonstrated the Electric Light Bulb
- I like all the links here from sciencenetlinks.
- Edison has his own page!
- The inventions of Thomas Edison from About.com
- Heap of Edison Links on 6 October Calendar page.
21 October: Apple Day
- The Celebrity Chef Makes Apple Pie in Se7en Steps.
- Se7en Million Muffins – There are apple muffins in there.
- Se7en Make Toffee Apples.
- The Celebrity Chef Makes Apple Crumble in Se7en Steps…
21 October 1959: Guggenheim Museum Opened
23 October 1940: Pele’s Birthday (1940 – )
23 October: Mother in Laws Day
24 October 2009: United Nations Day
25 October 1881: Pablo Picasso’s Birthday (1881 – 1973)
- Se7en + 1 Meet Up With Pablo Picasso: Pizza, Portraits and People…
- Picasso trivia – really click through, from Neatorama.
26 October 1836: International Red Cross Organised in Switzerland
27 October: International School Library Day
- Se7en Start a Book Nook.
- Saturday Spot: The Book Nook part Revisited, this is our school Library.
- Se7en of the best Book Sites for Kids.
- Saturday Spot: The Book Zone.
27 October 1848: Theodore Roosevelt’s Birthday (1858 – 1919)
28 October 1886: Statue of Liberty Dedicated
30 October 1735: John Adam’s Birthday (1735 – 1826)
31 October 1941: Mt. Rushmore completed
31 October: Halloween