It’s Winter Holiday season over here, which means that in between cosy days reading books, it is time to look for a couple of brilliant outings… outings that will allow lots of opportunities for kids to runaround and let off a little of the energy that accumulates on wintry days…
Se7en + 1 Things to Look Forward To in Cape Town These Holidays
Se7en Things We Have Tried and Tested, and are Worth Saving For:
- Table Mountain CableWay: It’s Cableway Kidz Season, so two kids are free for every paying adult. This was a fairly epic experience for our kids… and we highly recommend it.
- Two Oceans Aquarium: Finally the New I&J Ocean Exhibit is open and it is well worth the visit, along with all the other great things to do at the aquarium. It is slightly cheaper to buy your tickets online.
- City SightSeeing Bus: From my smallest kids to the biggest they have all loved this outing… It is an all day treat filled with fun. And two kids under eighteen go free with every paying adult. Totally, totally worth it. We have blogged about the City Tour, and the Peninsula Tour…
- Cape Point: Cape Point is part of the SanParks Table Mountain National Park… and one of our all time favourite places to visit and play. We just totally love Cape Point and all the family friendly hikes and great outdoors it has to offer, not to mention that it is almost whale season and there are heaps of fantastic spots in the park to watch whales from. Within the park is the Two Oceans Restaurant and Funicular, and they have a holiday special… two free kids for every paying adult funicular ticket.
- City Walks: On the third Saturday of every month there is a family friendly walk through the City of Cape Town… it looks like a lot of fun, for a family photo walk.
- First Thursdays: Did you know that the first Thursday of every month, Cape Town’s galleries are open to the public and visitors can wander in and out of them. you can take a look at their website and find out how it works and choose places to visit and plan your route, I am guessing that little kids will be tucked up in bed, but my older kids would all love an outing like this.
- Museum Night at the V&A Waterfront on 14 July 2016, from 5-9pm: This is one for the whole family, museums will be free, from 5-9pm… There are museums that we have been dying to visit on the list. Not to mention if you haven’t been to the aquarium for a while, tickets will be half price on the day. Participating museums:
- The Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa at the Scheryn Pavilion,
- Chavonnes Battery Museum,
- Iziko Maritime Centre,
- the Robben Island Jetty Museum,
- The Cape Town Diamond Museum,
- The Golf Hall of Fame,
- The Springbok Experience Rugby Museum
- Stargazing: Find out more about astronomy in South Africa and learn to spot this in our southern skies… Saturday: 9 July, 13 August, 10 September, 8 October… between 11:00 and 21:00 at the V&A Waterfront Swing Bridge. you can take a look at the entire Water Front Holiday Programme here on the Cape Town Big 7 Website.
Events on our List of Free Things to Try:
And Our All Star Recommendation Kirstenbosch:
One absolutely brilliant special during the winter school holidays in Cape Town is a visit to Kirstenbosch, it is free for children under seventeen… you only have to pay for the accompanying adult. One thing about Cape Town and her cold wet winters is that we have plenty of balmy days… pick those and head for the gardens there is so much to do there that one visit probably won’t be nearly enough. And for folks that like activities to peak their kids interest… well their holiday programme, with #StruikNature is going to be absolutely epic. There are a number of adventures, scavenger and treasure hunts in the gardens, and loads of story time specials where you can meet the authors. You can read and plot and plan your visits and download the entire Winter Wonders 2016 Programme on the Kirstenbosch website.
12 Replies to “Se7en’s Winter Holiday Season Suggestions…”
Lots of things to explore and enjoy on cold days!
So much to do and see.. And thankfully the days are warm enough to venture out
Hi Christi, there are folk around here that are really looking forwards to it!!! Hope you have a great week!!!
Oh MrsFF, I am so thankful for the warmer days… the nights have been really cold. Winter is really here, but still no rain… which is very different for us. Hope the rain arrives soon, it is time already. Hope you all have a good week.
Sounds like you have a lot lined up.. winter in Cape Town can really be a lot of fun!
If you still have some time open, you are welcome to visit our ship – the Logos Hope – berthed at the Waterfront until 11 July. We are known as the World’s Largest Floating Bookfair, but have a lot of other things to enjoy as well. I think your family would enjoy it.
Thank you for your blog, I enjoy popping in here from time to time, and love all the book suggestions!
Hi Carlien, We are absolutely dying to visit the Logos Hope, it is definitely a top priority for us. Hopefully I will be able to take a few pictures and share it with our readers too. Thank you so much for stopping by and your kind comment!!!
Such a lot to do that if you’re not intentional you could miss it all 🙂
Hope you’re well! I’m missing my wifi 🙂 but enjoying the weather and the beautiful scenery!
We have managed to do a lot of that in our various visits to the Mother City. I think everyone is old enough now to perhaps try the cable car!
Hay Laura, Thanks so much for stopping by… Have to say the Cable Way is well worth saving for. Just being able to say you have been to the top of table Mountain is fairly epic, not to mention all the other fab features!!! Hope you are all enjoying your winter break!!!
And that Marcia is the problem with Cape Town, so much to do and it is all good. So much discernment required… so many decisions to make. Hope you are all having a great holiday!!!
Thank you for the PingBack to the http://www.capetownbig7.co.za. We have to agree our favourite family activity this holiday is definitely the Kirstenbosch #WinterWonders2016 Holiday Programme.
Hay Nadia, Thank you so much for stopping by… Absolutely, our gang have been loving everything that Kirstenbosch has to offer these holidays, they have been really fantastic… a great way to enjoy the sunny days!!! Hope you have a fantastic weekend!!!